inaccessible boot device win2k

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

theses93

Hey guys,
I am new to this so please go easy on me. My so bought a used computer some time ago. He jammed the mouse wire behind his desk and severed the wire while running his computer. No need to say it shorted out his motherboard. I had another motherboard on hand that had the same 370 socket and it fit right into his mini tower. But now comes the thing. I installed the board and hooked up all the drives, hoping that it will start right up. Bad news. Blue screen. Inaccessible boot device. How can I get back into that hard drive without deleting everything thats on it. I hope someone can help me here. Thank you

you can't with that "new" motherboard installed, windows ties itself to the hardware when it's installed, you will have to do a new install of windows.

theses93

how can I install windows without loosing all my other software and data. isnt window overwriting all other items on my harddrive. I can not loose the other data because there is no backup in place

when you reinstall windows do not format, select "leave files intact" & all folders & files should remain on your hard-drive.

crjdriver

The above advise may or may not leave data intact. If you have any secure folders, they will most likely not be available. In addition you will need to reinstall all apps since the registry entries are in the original win2k install not the new one. This method results in two installs of win2k. There is a way to do this without a clean install.

1 Boot your machine and enter the bios. Set the cd as the first boot device; save settings and restart with your win2k cd in the drive.

2 At the first menu choose install not repair. The next menu will show any previous win2k installs and give you the option to repair them. Let setup repair your install.

3 After the repair install, do this in the order given.
1 Install sp4 unless your disk already has it.
2 Install chipset / mb drivers
3 Update DirectX
4 Install sound, nic, raid, sata drivers as necessary.
5 Install video driver last

All installed data including any encrypted folders should still be available. [As long as you have the password for the folder]

crjdriver

Tapeuup said:
when you reinstall windows do not format, select "leave files intact" & all folders & files should remain on your hard-drive.
This will result with two installs of win2k on the same partition. While this method is ok for a short term recovery of data, it will lead to instability. In addition it requires a reinstall of all apps.

crjdriver said:
This will result with two installs of win2k on the same partition. While this method is ok for a short term recovery of data, it will lead to instability. In addition it requires a reinstall of all apps.
once he recovers his data he should do a new install, that was the reason for my reply, to recover his data! seems logical to do a new install after replacing a major hardware like a MB.

theses93

thank you verry much for your reply. But sad to say it came to late because I allready did a clean install. Now I have 2 Win2000 operating systems.

I go into "my computer" and in the properties I can see that with the amount of gigs used the data must be still here. But I am not able to access it. Just as you said.

But I tried your version before I had asked for help. I had the install CD running and had set the bios to run CD player first at boot up. But it still went into the blue screen. I dont know why, because the computer booted up with the CD drive and then slowed down and the blue screen came up.

Be as it may. it is to late for this version anyway. Is there a way to integrate the software that is still on the Hard Drive to work with the second installment of win2000.
It is hard to believe that it would be lost since it is still on the harddrive.

I just had an Idea. Do you think your solution would still work since the first version of windows ist still on there. If it work i could delete the second one. During the bootup it showes me 2 win 200 op system to choode from. If I take t wrong one it showes me the bluescreen again. so it is still there.

Let me know Thanks

theses93

Tapeuup said:
once he recovers his data he should do a new install, that was the reason for my reply, to recover his data! seems logical to do a new install after replacing a major hardware like a MB.

I thank you for your help. the most important factor was not to loose my data on it. And I did as you said and I did not loose my data.. This was the first step to recovery. Now I need to solve the problem of not getting access to my software on the HD. Thank you

Have you tried taking ownership of the blocked folders and files?

Some of your recovered programs wont operate, because the registry has been rewritten, they are no longer valid in the registry so you will need to reinstall some to get the registry files back in order.

Try the repair install of the first installation version, you cant get any worse off than you already are. If it doesnt work what have you lost that isnt already?

crjdriver

Be as it may. it is to late for this version anyway. Is there a way to integrate the software that is still on the Hard Drive to work with the second installment of win2000.
No, the apps must be installed in order to get the registry entries; in addition an app writes files to the winnt and winnt/system32 folder as well as its install folder. These files would be missing unless you reinstalled the app.

I just had an Idea. Do you think your solution would still work since the first version of windows ist still on there
Yes. You must choose which install you want to repair. Typically it would be the one with the number 1 on it.

crjdriver

After you finish the repair install and all of the procedures I outlined, you can delete the extra windows folder and all sub-folders. You will need to edit the boot.ini file to get rid of the boot menu at start-up.

theses93

crjdriver said:
After you finish the repair install and all of the procedures I outlined, you can delete the extra windows folder and all sub-folders. You will need to edit the boot.ini file to get rid of the boot menu at start-up.

I try it now......Give me a little time and I will let you know. Please stay on.

theses93

Is it normal that the whole setup is running? After all I picked repair and it is running the whole setup.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online