inaccessible boot device

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

darkjedi

Hi guys I'm getting an stop 0x00000007b, inacessible boot device error.on my windows 2000 computer. the last thing I did before I go this massege was trying to install a virtual drive with nero 6 after I rebooted the computer I recieved this blue screen error. The error is telling me that I might have a virus and that I should run my antivirus , but how do I do that if I can't boot to the computer .My antivirus is up to date and I'm running avg .
my systems specs are amd xp 2500 , 256mb , shuttel an35n ultra motherboard.

Well... there is a tonne of stuff posted all over the NET about this problem. Some of it is in fact right here !

Here is the most comprehensive MSKB article : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q122926

There are others, just use the search function.

I also had a hell of a time today with the same damn thing ! See my post here on how I solved it, although mine was an XP problem (some of the solutions are similar) : http://forums.techguy.org/t296310.html

Drop me an email if you want... I now consider myself an expert on stop 0x0000007B !

[email protected][no.spam]logixhouse.com

darkjedi

I ran the fixboot and the error still appears , and when I was going to run the fixmbr I got this massage
"This computer appears to have a non standard or invalid mbr fixmbr may damage your partition table if you proceed " Shoul I go head with the fixmbr?

darkjedi

the drive is new I installed 4 months ago , but I ran chkdsk /r just to be sure and nothing is wrong with it . which program should I use to scan for viruses ? if I'm unable to boot the system

darkjedi

this all the things I installed morning before this problem appeared , first I installed a e geoforce fx 5500 256mb ddr video card , I rebooted the system and everything was fine , later on the day I installed the jedi outcast game with no problems , rebooted and no problems so far, later on I installed vmware with no pproblems , rebooted the system so far so good , the last thing I did was to installed nero , and I was tryng to run the virtual drive so I can run some images , after playing around with the nero configurations I rebooted the system and the error appeared .

This might work:
Open the case,remove the video card and then reinstall it making sure it is firmly seated in the slot.

darkjedi

ok I'll will reinstall the video card this afternoon after I get home , also I forgot to mention I ran fsdisk /mbr before I ran fixboot do you think this might messed up the boot sector ?

darkjedi

I reinstalled the video card and the error stills appears, should I run fixmbr even if I get this massage "This computer appears to have a non standard or invalid mbr fixmbr may damage your partition table if you proceed "

I would NOT do it.

DL the ultimate boot CD (link in my previous post). There are a couple of DOS based anti-virii programs on it.

From what you are saying... its sounds like a device / driver conflict. Many people have run into similar problems with XP after installing CD/DVD burning sofware that has virtual drive capabilities. I wish I could tell you what exactly the problem is... except that it seems common.

I think you may need to do what I did. Take apart the whole system, and try and boot it with the most minimal of HW attached - C Drive only, Video card (preferrably the OLD one) and one stick of RAM. Thats IT. Then reboot her and see what happens. If you're feeling really adventurous, you could do what I did, and get a clean drive, re-install XP onto it with all the devices attached, and then copy the windows/system32/drivers folder over from the good drive to the one thats not working. I know it doesn't sound very "technical" to do that, but as much as people kept telling me it was a HW / drive / card problem it all turned out to be conflicting drivers within Windows.

Hope that was of some help.

H.

darkjedi

I already tried the old video card and the same error comes out .I would try to do the same thing you did but I do not have an extra hard drive to reinstalled windows 2000 on it , it looks that I might have to reformat the drive. I also access the c drive through the recovery console and I was trying to uninstall nero , but when I look for that directory dos can't access it.

That sux. Hmmmm... lemme think about your problem some more. There were a myriad of solutions I came across while researching my problem and I'm sure there is something that will work. I am a big believer in the concept that you NEVER have to format/re-install. We will figure this out !

I will post again in a bit.

darkjedi

no no roxio , the whole problem began when I installed nero ,and i can even unistall it throuhg the recovery console, the bright side is that I did not have almost no programs on this computer since I just built it .So If I have to reinstall I just have to reinstall securitys patches , services packs , two games , and a a couple of programs . I'm tryng to avoid that , but it looks that I might no have a choice ,

Man this is such an annoying and yet very common problem.

I wish I could sit and trouble shoot your system locally. If it s a relativvely new system, then it might just be easier to reformat, as much as I ahte to say it. Its like saying to Bill Gates... I give, you win. I am still researching it, but its hard not being able to try some of the thing I read myself. You should invest in a spare drive and an external case (it saved my *** in this case). I am now going to ghost my drive before I do any big upgrades so I can always go back if necessary (because Mr. Gates so called last know config, system restore and uninstall options dont always do as they are supposed to...)

I'll let you know if I find anything else.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online