Inaccessible boot device

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

I'm not sure

I'm trying to install windows 2k on this pc and it's giving an inaccessible boot device error(code 0x0000007B)

the real problem is that there shouldn't be a problem.
I resized my main partition to make 2gb of unallocated space.
I partitioned and formatted the space as NTFS
I can access it from vista and move files freely into and out of it,
but when I try to install win 2k it gives a bluescreen error after loading its components.

I'm trying to put 2k on so I can play metal fatigue, system shock, and other old games.

I'm confused as to how there is any error at all.

I'm not sure

After researching and tinkering, i have found out that i need to get the SATA controller drivers for my motherboard. I have a Dell XPS 410 but i can't manage to find anything useful on the dell site, I need to know where I can find a SATA controller driver. HDD is a WDC WD5000AAKS in case you need to know.

I don't have a motherboard disk and I don't have the Dell drivers and utilities disk, which probably wouldn't have it anyway.

The download page for that Dell indicates its using an Intel chipset. The Intel Driver for XP might work for Win2K.

Or you can get the driver directly from Intel, you can download it from here.
More info on installing an OS using the F6 floppy method is on this page, 4th item under Installation and Use.

You'll need a floppy drive, or you'll need to slipstream the drivers into a new Win2K disk.
nLite supports slipstreaming into Win2K.

HTH

Jerry

The problem is only Sata related if the installer reports back that it can't find the hard disk. That can be solved by loading the Sata driver at the beginning when the installer asks for it (at the bottom line of the screen immediately after booting up the CD).

A blue screen may be resolved by slipstream the SP4 into the Win2k disc. The Service Pack 4 has more drivers available.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online