1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE Solved

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Alex Ethridge, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

First, I know this is not everyone's solution, nor is it mine for every occasion on which I get this damnable Stop Error. However, I did find the solution for myself on this one occasion and I thought I would share it for the benefit of those who may have a similar problem.

This error, which I have been getting for weeks in my on-again and off-again tries at installing Windows 2000, was solved by changing the length of the IDE cable. First, I had a 30-inch IDE cable attached to the only hard disk on this controller. This is longer than usual; but, Windows 98 didn't have a problem with it. I had the hard disk connected to the last terminal, placing it 30 inches from the controller. I moved the hard disk to the first terminal which was about 20 inches from the controller. Windows 2000 did get further into the installation process before giving the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error again. I then turned the cable around so that the hard disk was connected only 10 inches from the controller. I was then able to complete the installation of Windows without incident.

As an experiment, I decided to try to boot again with the hard disk at 20- and then 30 -nches from the controller. The error popped up again.

I am satisfied that the length of the IDE cable had something to do with this.

As a point of interest, I changed hard disks a few months back when my machine was running fine. I got the same Stop Error. I changed from an 80-conductor to a 40-conductor cable and it booted fine. Both disks were ATA-100.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65902

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice