1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE with Win2000 on a Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Mobo.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Trentham, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Trentham

Trentham Thread Starter

I've just upgraded a motherboard and processor to a Gigabyte GA-7VAXP with an AthlonXP 2100+ and things look more or less OK (1) but when I try to boot into Windows 200 Pro it gives me an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE message.

The machine has also the ability to boot into WindowsME which it does without difficulty and it is quite happy booting into Win2000 when I put the old Mobo back in.

The disk drive in question is a Samsung device of some type of around 30Gb partitioned as (sizes are approximate):

WinME boot disk - FAT32 - 4.5Gb
    Extended Partition
    Data Area - FAT 32 - 14.3 Gb
    Program Area - NTFS - 6.8 Gb
    Win200 Boot Disk - NTFS - 3 Gb

Checking the disks with Partition Magic reveals no problems.

The Microsoft site tells me...
    ------------------------------
    Stop 0x0000007B - Inaccessible Boot Device

This Stop message, also known as Stop 0x7B, indicates that Windows 2000 lost access to the system partition during the startup process.

This error can be caused by a number of factors, including the failure of the boot device driver to initialize, the installation of an incompatible disk or disk controller, an incompatible device driver, disk cabling problems, disk corruption, viruses, or incompatible logical block addressing (LBA).

The system BIOS allows access to fixed disks that use fewer than 1024 cylinders. Many later disks, however, exceed 1024 cylinders. LBA is used to provide support for these disks. Such support is often built into the system BIOS. However, there are potential problems with LBA, such as:

* If partitions are created and formatted with LBA disabled, and LBA is subsequently enabled, a STOP 0x7B can result. The partitions must be created and formatted while LBA is enabled.

* Some LBA schemes are not compatible with Windows 2000. Check with your vendor.
    ------------------------------

but it works OK with the old mobo and anyway, what do I do to fix it?

Hope someone can help!

(1) When the m/c starts up it seems to be reporting XP1500+ but whether that is normal or not I don't yet know and I haven't even started looking into that yet!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This sounds like pretty normal operation. You changed some significant resources and probably no longer have a MB that W2K recognizes. One trick you can try that might get it booting, disable ACPI in the BIOS. When W2K installs, it installs the ACPI or standard HAL, and it's one of the things that you can't change on-the-fly.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Win2k [and XP] will not boot with a different mb / chipset if you have installed proprietary chipset drivers for the old mb. The only way that I know of doing this [without a reinstall of win2k] is to hookup the old mb, remove the proprietary chipset drivers and use windows default drivers. Install your new mb and let windows find the new hardware.
    A clean install of the os is the better way to do this. In the long run you will have a more stable system if you do a clean install.

4. Trentham

Trentham Thread Starter

Many thanks for that. At least I've now an idea where to look!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114942

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice