1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

inacessible boot device

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grandmaman30, Feb 18, 2020.

Advertisement
  1. grandmaman30

grandmaman30 Thread Starter

i got a blue window at my pc startup saying :( inacessible boot device, so i went to youtube and got a tutoriel help to get into command prompt and tried to config it like the guy said but i type ren system system1 and ren default deault1 etc, you get the picture.. and then i mistyped it so i think i lost the files and i dont know what to do now please help me so i can do it again or repair what ive done wrong

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    First this doesn't belong in networking. It is a hardware problem.
    Inaccessible boot device means the computer can not get to whatever it uses to boot - hard drive, CD, DVD, USB stick, portable USB device or another computer with an operating system.

Second, before anyone can offer assistance, we need to know what the operating system is on the computer you are using and if it is a desktop or a laptop. Please include the brand and model of computer. (Some of us like to look at the manual before we offer suggestions.)

What did you use to view the youtube tutorial?

Please post the link to the video you watched because we have no idea what you did to try to fix the computer.

3. grandmaman30

grandmaman30 Thread Starter

thats the link its an acer windows 10 intel celeron laptop

4. lynx1021

lynx1021

That's pretty complicated for a non tech

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I'll bow out because I do not run Windows 10.

At this point, you probably have to reload Windows 10; if you do that, you will lose all your files and installed programs.
    Do you have the files stored off the computer?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you have anything important on the drive ie docs, videos, whatever, the very first thing I would do would be to pull the drive and connect it to a working system. Hopefully you will be able to copy whatever work folders you need. While the drive is connected to a working system, test the drive with the drive mfg's diagnostic. You download this from whomever mfg the drive ie WD, Seagate, etc. It makes no sense to me to attempt to fix something when you do not know IF the drive is in good shape. If the drive passes ALL tests, then reinstall in your system. Clean install windows and copy back the data files you backed up.
    Done.

BTW I attempted to listen to the video you posted;
    1 It is difficult to understand
    2 While not overly complicated, IMO it is above the skill level of most general users
    3 No attempt was made to test the drive

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1240453

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice