1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Inbound web page routing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by 3D0G, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 3D0G

3D0G Thread Starter

Greetings:

I have a single static IP address. I just added a new PC running Apache to my internal LAN so now I have both an IIS server located on x.x.x.2 and the new Linux webserver on x.x.x.3

Web traffic (port 80) coming to my domain (lets call it foo.com) is routed to the IIS server on x.x.x.2

What I need to do is route traffic coming to a specific subdomain like new.foo.com to the apache server on x.x.x.3 and let all other port 80 traffic continue on it's merry way to the IIS sever on x.x.x.2

Any chance my Actiontec router can do that?

3D0G.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

When you say static are you talking about an ISP provided static IP or are you talking about private internal addresses?

3. 3D0G

3D0G Thread Starter

ISP provided static.

I know I can use port level forwarding to route inbound traffic but in this case I want port 80 traffic to go to one of two diffrent computers based on the URL being requested.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm not sure how you'd do that. Since you only have one IP address, and you can only forward port 80 to a single computer behind your router/firewall, that seems like the impossible dream.

5. zx10guy

You can do this but you'll have to ditch the router you have. I don't know what other network devices do this but I know for a fact the Cisco PIX and ASA firewalls can do this. You just set up a static NAT rule for the second public IP you have and then set your firewall rule to only allow inbound port 80 on that IP. Not sure what your budget is for this...if it's even an option. But you're looking at spending around $370 for an ASA 5505.

6. JohnWill

The only way I've seen this done is by using an external service that translates one or more ports from port 80 to a unique port. Also, I don't see anything here that suggests he has multiple public IP addresses, which is the root of the issue if that's correct.

7. zx10guy

Trust me. What I said works because I implemented it myself. Numerous times on various work projects.

As far as the question of ISP public static addresses. The OP said it in post #3.

8. JohnWill

I must have flunked reading comprehension, I don't see anything about multiple public IP addresses there, just a statement about the IP address being static. Please point out what I'm missing?

9. zx10guy

Nope, I flunked reading comprehension. Guess that's what I get for doing multiple things at once when responding. I saw in his first post he said he had a singlet static. Oh well, I retract all I've said. :eek:

10. 3D0G

3D0G Thread Starter

Drat. I was hoping I was just missing that option in the feature list.

OK then, it's back to plan-B. I'll just have to point the URL at another outside server and have it forward the request back to foo.com:81.

Thanks All.

11. JohnWill

That would be the only way I see this working. :)

12. zx10guy

dyndns.com offers a free HTTP forwarder.

13. JohnWill

See Post #6. ;)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700776

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice