1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Inbox Repair Tool trashed Outlook Express or hid it elsewhere

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ginagold, Dec 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ginagold

ginagold Thread Starter

I stupidly ran Inbox Repair Tool this found errors and fixed them result I cannot access my Outlook Express (mail)message says outlook express is not a valid win32 application, can I get it back where it belongs? Outlook Express does not show as component of Internet Explorer and I cannot download it.

2. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

First click on the link next to my name and get a virus scan done.

Next, the only other advice I can offer is:

Means the EXE file (setup.exe in this case) is BAD, corrupt, whatever--unusable
    Setup.exe Program must be downloaded again or CD or floppy replaced.
    ProgramName.exe Program must be re installed. The program .exe file which opens the program is corrupt

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi gina, welcome to TSG.....

The virus scanner is pretty generic......sometimes it does take longer to load......be patient.....

If you are running windows 98, you might try a registry restore to see if you can get back to the point where you were before you did the repair.....

When the computer is restarting, tap the F 8 key, choose command prompt only....

Once there type:

scanreg /restore
    (space after the g)

and press enter

Look for a date prior to your repair, but don't choose the oldest one.

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I made the same type of mistake when I used Windows95 and was just starting to use a computer. I ran the Inbox repair tool on files I shouldn't have an ended up withj an unusable application. File Corrpution message>>> Not a valid Win32 Application.

You are going to have to remove and then reinstall Outlook Express. Inbox repair is a part of MS Office. Not OE.

What Operating system and version of Internet Explorer are you using? OE 6 is Downloadable from Windows Update. Please post back with that information.

5. ginagold

ginagold Thread Starter

Thank you mosaic and others, I am on windows 95 and Internet Explorer 5.5 I think, tho' that is all shot and will not download extra components, disk says I have everything (I do not!) and online download just getting messages saying could not do.
    trouble is I mess about too much with my pc instead of letting sleeping dogs lie
    gg

6. ginagold

ginagold Thread Starter

acaCandy I do not have win98 maybe the same applie to 95? But I have already done a virus check with Norton and just found a couple of shared things within temp files which I deleted, do I need to do scan online?
    thank you and thanks Noyce

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Gina, unfortunately, 95 doesn't have that 'cool' feature....

Without knowing how up to date your virus program is, I would still recommend an online check....it certainly isn't going to hurt.

8. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Gina,
    Even if you had scanreg /restore it wouldn't help you in this case. You have corrupted your Files.
    It's been a long time since I was on Windows95. Have you tried the Internet Explorer Repair tool?Go into Control Panel>add Remove Programs and scroll to the Internet Explorer entry. Click remove? Three choices will appear. Choose Repair. Does that fix it? If not:
    Is Outlook Express listed in Add Remove Programs?

If so you can try removing it.

Then you can go back and do the IE thing again. This time, don't choose Repair. Instead choose Add Component. See if Outlook Express is on the list. If so, check it and now run setup. It will add OE.

9. ginagold

ginagold Thread Starter

yes I have tried all those things several times, now I have removed stuff and when I try to reinstall explorer etc still get a message I have latest version already. the repair option has been thrown out for a long time before the new problems, I did read somewhere that it would not be possible to update E5.5. on win95 after april this year, maybe this is so. (Microsoft have perhaps abandoned it as 95 so old).

10. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Acacandy- Whats that generic thing you are talking about?

ginagold- Its Doyce ma'am. :)

See, like I said. Re-install. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61556

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice