1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

InCD Error Code 00a8-0004-0009-0000

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by wgreene, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Can someone please help me solve a problem which really has me stumped?

I have tried four times unsuccessfully tonight to format a CD-RW (FUJI) using InCD. Each time I get Error Code 00a8-0004-0009-0000, which means nothing at all to me. The message states as follows:

Hardware error occurred. Reboot your computer and try again.
    Please check your drive.

I have Nero Burn on my PC, but wasn't even sure that I had InCD installed, especially since I didn't have an InCD Desktop icon, and neither was InCD listed as a program when I went to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs. So I went to Start, Find Files, and, sure enough, I found 5 InCD icons: (1) Shortcut; (2) File Folder; (3) InCD.exe; (4) InCDEx.dll; and (5) InCD.hlp. So I tried formatting twice and both times met with failure. Soon afterward, I brought up the five InCD icons again and sent them to the Recycle Bin, from where I deleted them. Thinking my PC was rid of anything to do with InCD, I then used the program CD to try and re-install InCD from scratch. To my surprise I received an indication that InCD was already installed on my PC, but I couldn't figure out how that could be since I thought I had completely gotten rid of all InCD files. I was, however, given the option instead to update InCD, which I chose to do. I tried once more to format the CD-RW and failed again.

Next, I went back to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and this time I saw InCD listed as a program, so I uninstalled it, a process which appeared to go smoothly. I got my program CD once more and attempted to install InCD, and this time it seemed to work properly; therefore, I figured I was finally all set to format. Wrong again! For the fourth time I received the same error message! I'm wondering about the indication that a "hardware error occurred," and why I was told to "please check your drive." I would GREATLY appreciate help from anyone who might know how to straighten things out for me. Thank you very much.

Bill

2. slipe

slipe

Now that you have everything installed update it again: http://www.nero.com/en/download.htm Also go to the site of the maker of your burner and get the latest firmware. Updating the software and firmware often fixes the kind of problem you are having. It appears InCD can’t see your burner, and burner software has to be fitted to each burner. It wouldn’t be the first time that the CD that came with the burner was not updated to work with the burner it came with.

Is Nero working OK for you? Most people seem to gravitate away from both RW and packet writing after gaining experience with CD writing.

3. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I'm still having the same problem. I went to Nero and did the update. In fact I downloaded 3 or 4 things while I was at it (incl. the user's manual in PDF format). I have a Yamaha burner, so I went to the Yamaha site to get the latest firmware, as you suggested. Well, while there I received a caution to Disable Auto Insert Notification & DMA before proceeding with the Firmware Update. I didn't know how to do either, so I searched the Net and found out how to disable the Auto Insert Notification, which I did without any problem. But I didn't bother with disabling DMA since I didn't couldn't find out how. I don't know whether or not NOT disabling DMA was the reason, but once again I attempted to format a CD-RW and, as before, received the very same error message. I'm now wondering what I should try next. Perhaps disabling DMA is the answer. I guess I could simply uninstall the entire Nero setup, including InCD, and reinstall Adaptec 4.5, or whichever version I was using. Or maybe I'd decide to spend the money for the Adaptec/Roxio 5.0 Platinum version.

Nero works fine for me. In fact, I've come to like it better than the version of Adaptec/Roxio I was using earlier. One major difference is that NERO doesn't require me to convert mp3 files to WAV files, which I found to be a real pain. (I believe the Apdaptec/Roxio 5.0 Platinum, like NERO, doesn't require conversion to WAV.) I know that NERO is supposed to be sort of "techie," but I haven't done anything with it other than burn audio CD compilations and copy CD's. Those functions couldn't be much simpler.

You mentioned that most people seem to gravitate away from both RW (CD-RW?) and packet writing after a while. I read the same thing in a magazine, which made it sound like a good idea, but I didn't really understand very well what I was reading. Since I'm currently having problems, maybe it would be better for me to get away from packet writing. Could you briefly explain how the alternative to packet writing works and what would be a good program to use?

Adaptec's DirectCD allowed me to use either CD-R's or -RW's, but InCD apparently works only with CD-RW's since there was no mention at all of CD-R's. Am I right about this? Isn't it better to be able to use CD-R's?

In case I finally learn how to format a CD-RW using InCD, will I be able to save photograph files to it?

I'm really sorry for all of these questions, but I do greatly appreciate having heard from you. It certainly would help matters if I understood more about computers!

Thanks,
    Bill

4. slipe

slipe

Did you uninstall DirectCD when you uninstalled EZCD? It requires a separate uninstall and older versions like you have will often cause problems with Nero.

The DMA should have been in the same place as the auto insert in device manager. If it wasn’t there your computer isn’t supporting DMA for the burner for some reason. In any case if the choice wasn’t in device manager along with auto insert it made no difference in your update. Make sure to re-select the auto insert before you use packet writing. DirectCD requires the auto insert to be checked, I presume InCD does as well.

Anytime that formatted RW is in your burner the table of contents (TOC) for the whole CD is in RAM. If you get a lockup or power failure the TOC will not be written to the CD and you can’t read it. Newer packet writing software evidently comes with a recovery/explorer applet that will let you get at the data, but it is a hassle at best. Stuff can be overwritten or erased. Since it is acting like a drive with everything exposed, I would presume that file destroying or damaging viruses would attack files on a formatted RW as well.

Most people save data multi-session with regular mastering software. You close the session so you can read what is on the CD, but leave the CD open so you can add more sessions. I write everything to CDR and have everything I have ever written in 4 years of having a burner. You will be amazed how often you dig up stuff you would otherwise have erased. I gave all of my RWs away back when they were expensive and just kept one for troubleshooting.

I regularly create a file like “Backup 17Jan02” and drag everything into the folder that needs backing up. I record the folder multi-session, check the recording and delete the folder.

If you have a lot of images to record you might look at one of these freewares: http://www.angelfire.com/ga/bazuka/ and http://www.slowview.at/ They will allow you to make a “contact” sheet of thumbnails for a folder of images. If you keep the thumbnails on your HD and set up a decent file system you can easily find the images. You can also put a contact sheet on the CD so you can open it and see what images are on it.

Yes you can record images to RW with packet writing. You could also show up at the White House for the New Years gala in a manure truck. You lose over 100 Mb formatting the CD that you could use for images. Most people aren’t regularly erasing and overwriting images, so why would you want to write to more expensive and less stable RW? There are people who overwrite large amounts of data daily for offsite backup and make good use of packet writing. Storing images is much better done with mastering software to CDR.

You are correct that only DirectCD will write to CDR. You close a session when you are finished writing for the day and the data is secure. It takes only a few seconds to format and doesn’t take a lot of space. Each session eats only 7Mb in housekeeping compared to about 15Mb for mastering software. You have the drag/paste convenience of packet writing and the security of multi-session to CDR. You won’t be back on the board asking how to recover the data you lost. I prefer dragging stuff to a folder and then recording it using mastering software, but packet writing to CDR is a sensible alternative.

Now that the 24X and 32X burners are out, many places are blowing off their 16X CDRs. Target has spindles of 30 TDK 16X 700Mb CDs for $8 – no rebates to mess with. CompUSA has 100 Imations with cases for $10 after rebate. You can’t get 100 cases for $10. Get some of these bargain quality brand CDRs and stash the RW away for emergency troubleshooting.

5. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Thank you for your informative and helpful reply. I feel like I now understand things a lot better. Unfortunately, though, I'm still having a good many problems. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both Nero and Adaptec and have encountered trouble trying to do so.

At the moment my most recent problem concerns Nero. I recently removed Adaptec and reinstalled Nero, but I now get a message telling me that the Win-ASPI File is missing. The missing file is part of Windows 95/98/ME files. Pleas fix this problem and then restart Windows. (Error 16: No adapters!)

My main concern of the moment is to fix this problem. Also, I have another question. I know that the packet writing programs DirectCD and InCD conflict, but is it okay to have only ONE of these packet writing progams installed while at the same time have both Adaptec Easy CD Creator AND Nero Burning ROM on my system. In other words, is the conflict only with packet writing?

Last night when I had removed Nero and InCD and reinstalled Easy CD Creator and DirectCD, I couldn't get DirectCD to recognize an inserted blank CD-R, so apparently something was missing. The auto insert and DMA were set properly, and I went to ROXIO and downloaded an update. I figured this would have solved this problem, but it didn't. I was up for hours trying to figure things out until I finally just gave up and decided to remove Easy CD Creator and DirectCD and reinstall Nero and InCD. But now, as described above, I'm having Nero problems. Do you have any idea what my problem is now. Thanks again.

Bill

6. slipe

slipe

I think we have it nailed down. Go here and download the ASPI check program and the Force ASPI: http://www.cyrus.troy.btinternet.co.uk/downloads.htm

It is almost certain your ASPI is corrupted but run the aspi check to make sure. If any components of the aspi are present you have to use Force ASPI to remove the old aspi and install a new one. This tells you what the various applets are for: http://www.flexion.org/aspi/

Once you get your aspi up to speed you might not have any more problems.

You shouldn’t have more than one packet writing program on your computer at once. IMHO you shouldn’t have any, with the possible exception of DirectCD for CDR only. When you put a formatted CD in the burner the packet writing takes over to make the drive active so you can drag/paste directly to the drive. There is no way to select one as the default packet writing program so they have to fight it out. Mastering software isn’t active until you open it so you can have several.

7. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Well, I downloaded the ASPI check program and received a message as follows:

ADAPTEC ASPI WINDOWS 95

ASPI is properly installed and is fully operational. However, no
    host adapters have been detected (0xE8).

Next, I clicked on the Flexion link and received a message stating that ForceASPI has been removed at the request of Adaptec because of copyright agreements. Flexion then offered a link -- http://aspi.radified.com/ -- which I will check out tomorrow. At the moment I don't really know where I stand; therefore, in the meantime, if you have any suggestions as to what my next step should be, I would be most grateful.

Thanks again,

Bill

Now, here's a summary of what happened earlier tonight.

While in the middle of attempting to uninstall Easy CD Creator I received from Norton an alert because of "a virus or other malicious code." I ended up quarantining the virus/malicious code. At the time I had just uninstalled DirectCD without any problems. The file was C:\WINDOWS\inf\ncnc\WHVLXD.DAT, if I read it correctly.

When told that it was safe to resume using my PC, I immediately went back to try to uninstall Easy CD Creator again, but after only a few seconds the uninstall process stopped. I waited a minute or two and then X'd out of it and rebooted. I tried the uninstall process again, but once more it stalled.

Out of desperation I went to Start/Find/Files and found four Adaptec files and sent them to the Recycle Bin and then deleted them from there. I tried yet again to remove Easy CD Creator, but this time received an error message telling me an error had occurred while attempting to uninstall the program and that it may already have been removed from my system. Further, it asked if I wanted to remove Easy CD Creator from my Add/Remove List, so I removed it.

By this time I had decided to give up on Adapter and reinstall Nero, but after inserting the Nero disc, nothing happened. So I then went to the Control Panel and clicked on Drive E and, sure enough, Nero install came onscreen. I clicked on it and it started installing, but suddenly my computer froze completely, so I had to push the button to reboot!

Finally, I tried again and was able to install Nero, BUT that's when I got the Error Message 16, "No adapters! The Win-ASPI file '?.?' can't be found; therefore you can currently select only image recorders....Please fix this problem and then restart Nero." So that's more or less where I am now.

8. Gary R

Gary R

RE CD/R's
    :
    But what if you discover that you need to edit something you'd already put onto a CDR and its the only copy available :confused:
    Since they're read only, you can't alter them in any way or even copy them back to your HD, from what I gather reading around the web, and so the file would be lost to the user....

9. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

I recently went to the 24hoursupport.helpdesk newsgroup concerning my missing Win-ASPI file problem. Soon I received a response from someone ("Budweiser") offering to send me the 191kb update file. I gave the go-ahead and the file was sent to me.

My question now is whether or not I should trust this offer of help. When I went to open the file, I received a warning from NORTON informing me that the file had been quarantined because it may be dangerous for me to open it. (The sender also sent a link to Adaptec which I clicked on only to discover that the page was not found.

My gut feeling is that this is a sincere offer of help, but I'm wondering if it's worth the risk of receiving a virus or some other dangerous problem. I've gotten help from this newsgroup in the past, but this is the first time I've had a file sent to me.

In the meantime, I'm considering purchasing either Easy CD Creator 5.0 Platinum or Click 'N Burn Pro 2.0. Is one clearly better than the other? Click 'N Burn is a lot less expensive and received a considerably better rating than Easy CD Creator from CNET, but I'm familiar only with Easy CD Creator and Nero.

Thanks,
    Bill

10. slipe

slipe

Bill: Don’t accept the offer. If Norton doesn’t like the file you certainly don’t want to open it. The person might not know they have a virus.

Force ASPI is on the same download page as the ASPI Check program I linked. I also linked the author’s page for an explanation only. Nero also has an ASPI with instructions on their download page. http://www.nero.com/en/download.htm It has instructions. Be sure to completely remove your current ASPI and install an updated one whether you use Force ASPI or the Nero ASPI – I think the ASPI files are the same. The “no host adapter” message might just mean you don’t have a SCSI card on the computer but I’m not sure. If that is the case everything is fine, but it won’t hurt to uninstall and reinstall the ASPI. I’ve always had a SCSI card so I don’t get the message.

What model and speed Yamaha burner do you have? I might have some software that I can link for you that will work for you at no cost. I’m not familiar with Click ‘N Burn. EZCD Platinum and the retail Nero have a lot of bells and whistles – not sure you need them.

Gary: Do you think everyone is so dumb they are backing stuff up to CDR that they can’t access or use? Of course you can copy the files back to the HD. You can also view them normally in the program they are associated with. If you need to modify one you can just right click the file>properties and change the attribute to archive.

Many people assemble their backup in a folder. They zip the folder and record that. If they ever have to use the backup they can just copy the zipped folder back to the HD and unzip it. The files will not change to read only that way.

I prefer to just record the folder without zipping it. If I ever have to restore large amounts of stuff to the computer I just use a batch conversion utility to convert everything back to archive. It is easier to get to individual items without unzipping. http://www.freewarefiles.com/programs.php?ProgramID=997&categoryid=9&subcategoryid=96

I have my computer organized so that if I modify something that has already been backed up, the modified file is tagged so I will back it up with my next backup. That way I have both the original and modified version on CDR where they are safe. If the HD crashes between backups I might lose a little stuff, but not as much as I could lose if the computer got infected with a virus and I put a formatted RW in the drive, or the HD failed while it was there.

You are really playing with fate to have the only copy of a file you are currently using packet written to RW. The only way that would make any sense would be if your HD was completely out of space and you had to use the RW as auxiliary space until you can get a bigger HD.

11. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Slipe:

Thank you very much for your continuing advice. I didn't accept the file from the newsgroup, and, like you, I figure that was the wise thing to do. The good news is that I am once again able to use Nero to burn audio CD's! I went to the Nero site and downloaded the ASPI file, after which I searched for it in Drive C but was unable to find it. I was somewhat concerned because it didn't show up as a result of my search, but I figured it must be somewhere on my computer. So I decided to try to burn an audio CD (compilation), and it worked, so I am quite happy about that.

One slightly annoying thing that happened only seconds after the start of the burning process using Nero was that the Easy CD Creator box came onscreen. I just "X'd" it out and the burn finished without further interruption. Perhaps I can expect such conflicts as long as I have more than one burning program on my PC. The main thing is that they don't cause a faulty burn.

I also have one packet-writer, Adaptec/Roxio's DirectCD, on my computer, but still can't get it to work. I used it a year or so ago without any problems. Whenever I would insert a blank CD, it would be recognized automatically and a DirectCD box would come onscreen and allow me to name and format the CD. This doesn't happen anymore. In fact, now when I insert a blank CD in my D drive (Yamaha burner) the Easy CD Creator box comes onscreen instead. I "X out" this box and then click on the DirectCD icon located at the bottom right of the screen, which I believe indicates that it's one of my Start Up programs. When I click on this icon the DirectCD box appears and allows me to name the CD and attempt to format it as well. In fact, the formatting process takes place, but in the end I get an error message telling me that the attempt has failed. I forget the exact wording of the message. There was an error code number as well, if I remember correctly. As noted in an earlier post, the auto insert and DMA are set properly, so I don't know what the problem is. I'm pretty sure I had this very same problem a few months back, but I can't remember how it was solved. It seems that I downloaded an update or two in order to make it work, but I'm not sure. Anyhow, it's kind of frustrating now because I find myself unable to transfer photos to a CD-R so that I might free up some space on my hard drive. Do you have an idea as to what I must do in order to make DirectCD work properly again? In the meantime, I'll keep trying.

Finally, my Yamaha burner is model # CRW2200EZ (40 x 20 x 10/Internal E-IDE).

Thanks again,

Bill

12. slipe

slipe

It is DirectCD that senses that a CDR or RW has been inserted and opens the window. If you choose to make a CD that can be read on any computer or make an audio CD it opens EZCD. If you chose to be able to drag/paste in Explorer it opens DirectCD. It should only engage DirectCD immediately if the CD is already formatted. So it is working correctly now and was evidently misbehaving earlier when it went right to the format when you inserted a blank CD.

It is DirectCD that is opening the window when you are trying to work in Nero. DirectCD is an odd duck in that you don’t completely cease its activities by turning it off. Try this: Start>Run and type “msconfig” without the quotes and enter. Go to the startup tab and uncheck DirectCD or anything to do with Adaptec, Roxio or EZCD. Reboot and see if the nuisance window still comes up when you use Nero. There should be no DirectCD icon in the tray after you reboot. If you still get the EZCD window your only recourse would be to uninstall DirectCD.

I’m not the person to troubleshoot packet writing. Most of my burner problems ceased three years ago when I removed it and I see no reason to have it on my computer in the first place. I loaded DirectCD for a short time to mess with packet writing to CDR, but I dumped it after I found out what I wanted to know. I’m baffled at why you feel you need packet writing to back up photos.

The software I had in mind is not appropriate for your burner. 16X is about the fastest it will accommodate without updates and the updates contain drivers you wouldn’t want. I don’t understand your question about Nero being more expensive than Click n Burn. If that Yamaha came with Nero it should be upgradeable to the latest version free. If you want the bells and whistles of the retail package they will certainly be better than Click n Burn.

13. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

I unchecked all Roxio/Adaptec programs in Start-Up and the conflict with Nero cleared up, as you indicated.

Packet-writing is all I've ever done for backing up photos and mp3 files, so I felt comfortable using it and that's why I appeared so insistent on continuing to use it. But now you've convinced me to use regular mastering software instead. Heretofore, I've been intimidated by the user manual for Nero, but I decided to take it slowly, step-by-step, and see if I could use Nero Burning ROM -- not InCD packet-writing -- to transfer photos to CD. So I followed the burn process all the way through and things seemed to go very smoothly. Finally, I checked the CD-Info after burning, and, much to my dismay, received a message box telling me that my CD was empty! I obviously missed something in the process! Next, I tried saving mp3 files to CD-RW, but received the same faulty result -- an empty CD. Perhaps the CD-R I used for the photos was flawed since I had already tried to format it -- though unsucessfully -- a couple of nights ago. So I wasn't all that surprised that the burn didn't work. But I don't think the CD-RW had been used previously at all.

What I'm going to do now is go out and get some fresh CD-R's and come back and fool around with Nero and see if I can get it right.

I'm pretty sure I have Nero 5.5. I had been thinking there was a later version out , but now I don't believe there is. And, frankly, I wasn't even thinking about a free upgrade. I'll check at the Nero website. I did read a very favorable review of Click 'N Burn, but remained leery since I'd never heard of it.

Actually, my biggest problem is my overall lack of computer knowledge. I am not very familiar with the terminology, and the dizzying array of programs and formats continues to leave me baffled. Nonetheless, I feel that I've learned a lot from forums such as this, but my education is proving to be a long and tedious process. Still, I refuse to give up. I'll just keep plugging away. As always, thanks again for your help and understanding.

Sincerely,
    Bill

14. slipe

slipe

You want to use RW until you get sorted out. Open Nero – not InCD – and do a FULL erase. I don’t think the quick erase will work if a CD has been formatted. Once you get something working you will want to transition to CDR.

Use whatever program you used to burn the original images to close the CDs so they can be read in any computer. That will change it to Joliet format and the images will be secure.

Record images as normal data in Nero. If you aren’t going to fill the CD, record multi-session, which is session at once closing the session but leaving the disc open for more sessions. The Nero manual will tell you how to do that.

15. Gary R

Gary R

Slipe, I just asked a honest question re Read only CD's I didn't know you could continue to read/write to them, this is the first comp I have owned with a CD/RW setup, so please allow for the fact that there are people that are complete newbies in dealing with CD's and CD Hardware/software, and are trying to learn what the ins/outs of using them are.... :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!