1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

incessant "low disk space" warnings

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by grai, Mar 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grai

grai Thread Starter

I am getting this window popping up every 2 or 3 minutes despite clicking on it and ticking the usual boxes to remove the unwanted files - 3 minutes later back pops the warning

its as if the pc doesnt know I'm actually doing it

I have followed this advice given to someone else on another site

"Insure the temp files in the hidden Local Settings folder are deleted.
    Start>My Computer> Local Disk C> Computer user name> Then go to tools (at the top)> Folder Options>View and put a dot in show Hidden Files and Folders Click OK> Open the Local Setting Folder>Temp> Delete all the files you can in the temp folder.
    3. Run Disk Clean from the Start>All Programs> Accessories> System Tools>Disk Clean Insure you remove all the compress old files.
    4. Get Rid of the Restore points and Lesson the amount of disk space System Restore uses.
    Right click on My Computer>Properties>System Restore and put a check in turn off system restore now click on the Settings Button Choose a setting of 1 - 5% click apply and OK
    Go back and TURN ON system restore, insure the amount of disk space for system restore did not default to the Max amount."

but it hasn't made any difference whatsoever

could this be a virus? I ran malaware and then 'search and destroy' but that made no difference either

I have an Acer Aspire T1 2OE

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Could it be that the system partition on your hard drive is legitimately full? What size is it and how much free space? Can you account for most of the used space?

3. grai

grai Thread Starter

It could be full - how would I find out and empty it? (Isnt that what ticking the boxes to remove unwanted files after the disk warning is supposed to do? I havent added anything of any size recently and never had this happen before)

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Have you been saving things to your recover drive which may be the D drive?

5. BirdMaster

BirdMaster Banned

6. grai

grai Thread Starter

I don't know is the simple answer - where is the D drive? how do I delete stuff off there?

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Open the My Computer main window, then right-click the C and D drive icons, then click Properties.

What's listed in each drive for

Capacity

Free Space

Used Space

----------------------------------------------------------

8. grai

grai Thread Starter

there's C, E, F G, H, but no D drive

when I right click on the C drive and go into properties the blue colour showing up "used space" is totally blue! so it looks like its full!

under that there's "disk clean-up"

I'm scared to click on any of this because if I wipe something basic and can't use the computer I don't have the skills to get it back again

also I have been looking at the files and don't know what the hell they are - "MP ministigStub" for example - what the hell is that?? If I randomly delete this stuff without knowing what I'm doing and hope for the best it will probably end in tears and I'll be back on here and you'll be saying to me

"you deleted WHAT?? what did you delete THAT for???"

I'm just working blind but I DO have enough experience to know that messing with stuff and hoping for the best is always a big mistake

having said that I did come across a lot of stuff that is just weird copies of family photographs that somehow replicated themselves and got into a file for no good reason about 3 years ago (why do computers do this?)

so thats all been deleted

Having said that this circle of "used space" is STILL full - so wiping what seems like tons of music and pictures has had no effect on freeing up space

even as I was deleteing as tho my life depended on it I was getting the "low disk space" warning popping up incessantly! which was very annoying

is it straightforward if I click on "disk clean-up" ?

or would you reccommend I carry on just deleting things that I can work out are just pictures and junk and leave anything that reads like gobbedy-gook ("MP ministigStub" for example)

my fear is that deleting things that I'm guessing at will eventually mean I screw the PC altogether - its just takes one little CLICK!

the good news is that the disk space really is full which is why I'm getting the "low disk space" warning and not from some bug or virus

the bad news is I have no clue how to clear it so any advice will be greatly appreciated

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    What are the names in MY COMPUTER for

C

E

F

G

H

so we can determine what each drive actually is?

------------------------------------------------

You didn't answer my question in post #7 for the C drive.

------------------------------------------------

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Run TreeSize and open each drive to see what is taking up space.

11. grai

grai Thread Starter

used space 39,821,115,392 bytes 37.0 GB

free space 185,040,896 bytes 176 MB

capacity 40,006,156,288 bytes 37.2 GB

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The capacity of the C drive is 37.2 GB and there's only 176 MB of free space, so you definitely need to reclaim a sizeable amount of free space.

Right-click RECYCLE BIN, then click Properties, then move the slider from its default value of 10% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties - System Restore, then move the slider from its default value of 12% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

Click Start - Run, then type in %temp% and then click OK. When that temp folder appears, select and delete EVERYTHING from inside it.

After all of the above is done, empty the Recycle Bin and then restart the computer.

-----------------------------------------------

You didn't advise what the names are for the

E
    F
    G
    H

drives, so I'm going to assume that they're CD/DVD and card reader drives.

Do you know how to submit a HiJackThis log here?

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you delete stuff are you really deleting, or moving them to the Recycle Bin? If the latter, you don't really gain any space until you empty the Recycle Bin. Disk Cleanup will empty it, but only if it is selected. When I run Disk Cleanup I select everything but 'compress files.'

I have no idea what "MP ministigStub" is. If you mistyped and mean MPminisigStub,exe that is probably an important operating system file (if it comes from Microsoft).

14. grai

grai Thread Starter

stupid question - where is the recycle bin?

15. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    The recycle bin should be on your desktop.Its an icon that looks like a trash can.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1046446

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice