1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Incoming connections blocked?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Samualsock, Dec 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Samualsock

Samualsock Thread Starter

Hello, about a week ago I started experiencing a problem when trying to connect to my friends gaming servers (this may need to go in the gaming section but I think the problem is deeper than that. We use hamachi to avoid port forwarding, firewall issues etc and that refuses to let either of us ping each other, if I try to ping his public IP in CMD it works but if he tries to ping me he gets request timed out. I think the problem is with incoming connections to my laptop. It isn't network specific either as I've tried it on 3 different networks. To summarise, it seems to be any incoming connections are seemingly blocked/ not recognised by my laptop.

What I've tried to fix it:
    -Disabling firewall and anti-virus
    -Re-installing Hamachi
    -checking for network adapter driver updates (None found)
    -Trying to connect on different networks (Same problem)

I've had the problem for about a week and its driving me insane! Usually i can fix problems with windows but not this one so any help is massively appreciated

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD E-350 Processor, x64 Family 20 Model 1 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2667 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics, 384 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 152621 MB, Free - 5492 MB; D: Total - 152219 MB, Free - 57261 MB;
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, PWWBE
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012, Updated and Enabled

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Samualsock, and welcome to TSG.

How is your laptop connecting to the Internet? If it is going through any kind of modem or router that is using Network Address Translation (NAT) to connect many private LAN IP addresses to one public IP address, that router or modem would be handling the Ping request, not your computer.

3. Samualsock

My laptop is going through my house's router which has about 5 other devices connected to it. I have also tried on different routers elsewhere with exactly the same result

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Do you also have some kind of modem between your router and the Internet? The most likely scenario is that the modem or the router, not your computer, is ignoring the incoming ping requests.

5. Samualsock

As far as I'm aware my connection is just laptop-->router-->internet there is nothing else my end (As for the ISP, im not sure if they add anything extra or not)

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    In that case, the router is most likely receiving the incoming Ping requests from the Internet and ignoring them.

What is the brand and model number of the router?

Exactly what do you mean when you said "-Trying to connect on different networks (Same problem)"?

7. Samualsock

My router is a Plusnet Technicolour TG582N

I mean that i have gone to a different house, in a different part of the country, with a different ISP and a different router and I still have the same problem

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    If the different routers are all supporting multiple devices with multiple private IP Addresses connecting through a single public IP address, then it is the router is the device that needs to respond to the Ping request to its public IP address. Routers may have an options setting to allow or disallow replying to an incoming Ping response.

Go to the command screen for your computer and enter IPCONFIG . If the computer's IP address is shown as being in one of the following ranges, it has a private IP address and can not be Pinged from the Internet.

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 (10/8 prefix)
    172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 (172.16/12 prefix)
    192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 (192.168/16 prefix)

9. Samualsock

My network IPv4 is: 192.168.1.76
    My public IP is: 46.208.230.12

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
  11. Samualsock

My router has never had this problem until about a week ago when it randomly started happening, i checked the settings and everything seemed fine

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    For troubleshooting purposes, turn off the firewall. I will ping you.

13. Samualsock

Laptop firewall or router firewall ?
    I dont have access to my router fire wall

14. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Then you will need to speak to the ISP to find out if there are anything that may have changed in thier service or any updates made on the router. (firmware, etc)

15. Samualsock

Alright, I'll do that. Is there anything else you can suggest as it dosnt seem to be router/ISP specefic

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1115373

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice