1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Incoming emails with PDF's being formatted to .dat files

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ktethel709, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ktethel709

ktethel709 Thread Starter

Hello there,

So here it is :
    In my office we have 4 computers, with 4 different emails, 2 with GO Daddy and 2 with Microsoft ( we think ) . One of my coworkers has one of the emails that are not with go daddy ( [email protected]nf.sympatico.ca ) She receives many emails in a run of a day with no trouble, but lately, she's been having issues with two customers that email her PDFS - but when she gets the emails the attachments ( that are supposed to be PDFS ) show as winmail.dat files? She can't do anything with them, open, design, edit. etc. but yet if the same customer emails me the same file and same everything, I get the attachment as a PDF. ( I have GoDaddy email ) Is there a reason for this, and does it have to do with the receiver or the sender? Any help will suffice. Thanks for reading ! really looking forward to your suggestions :)

Kathleen
    this is my computers info ( not the one with the issue )

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics, AMD64 Family 22 Model 48 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3512 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) R4 Graphics, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 910 GB (713 GB Free); D: 19 GB (2 GB Free);
    Motherboard: HP, 2B3B
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

The customers are probably using Rich-Text Format in their Outlook emails, and this causes receiving mail clients to see the winmail.dat file. In addition, the PDFs are packed into that file and that's why they're not showing as attachments. Does your co-worker use a non-Outlook mail client?

3. ktethel709

-- Thanks for the fast response :)

They use Outlook on their desktop, me as well, But if the same customer sends us the same email with an attachment, I will get it as a PDF and she as a winmail.dat file.. :(

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Are you all using the same client version of Outlook? If so, which one? 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019?

5. ktethel709

---- I am using Mircosoft Outlook Professional Plus 2013
    ----Co worker is using Outlook 2010
    ----customer we don't know...
    customers sends same email to both of us and yet I get PDF format and she gets .dat file format.. Do you think this has to with our customer and perhaps not us?

6. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Could you check with your customer what they use for a mail client? I'm just trying to fit all the pieces of the puzzle together, and knowing what they use will be helpful.

7. ktethel709

--- Sorry I have to edit, my coworker uses Outlook 2007 I use the 2013 Professional Plus. I will get back to you on what the customer is using one moment :p

8. ktethel709

Okay customer uses Outlook 2016

9. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

It's curious this is affecting only 2010, but here's something to try: if you go to this page, copy the link to your customer, tell them to scroll down to Method 2, Outlook 2016, and then follow the instructions so they're sending a plain-text email only to your colleague who's having issues with the winmail.dat file.

After that, have them send an attachment to your colleague and see if it comes through properly. Please note from the instructions: they should not have your colleague in their Outlook Contacts list.

10. ktethel709

Okay excellent, thank you :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice