1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Incoming mail server changes to 127.0.0.1

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by HOBOcs, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Customers computer - Outlook express - Multiple identities.

Why does the incoming mail server change to 127.0.0.1 every time the computer is turned off.
    Happens to only one of the identities.
    Note this one identity uses a different incoming mail server then the ISP... but still uses the outgoing mail server as the ISP.

The correct setting should be pop.xxx.xxxxx.com and gets reset to 127.0.0.1 after a restart. You can exit Outlook and renter and exit any number of times and the account properties do not change... only on a restart.
    FYI, The user account name also gets changed.

Any thoughts.
    They are running Mcafee AV. Checking for viruses...

2. vanillag1rl

vanillag1rl

Did you look at their hijackthis log ?
    Or wanna post a log here so someone can look at it?

3. vanillag1rl

vanillag1rl

4. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Found this
    From another site:

Question: Does turning off email scanning leave me vulnerable to viruses?
    Answer: Disabling email protection does not leave you vulnerable to viruses and malicious software in email. It is a separate layer of protection Virus detectors scan any incoming files, including email, as they are saved to your hard drive. As long as you keep your virus definitions up to date and set to scan files as they are created or downloaded, your system is fully protected.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/195458

5. vanillag1rl

vanillag1rl

lol wtg
    I been on the prowl all freaken day. I am at school trying to help ppl

6. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Vanilla,
    A lot of games....Have you won many? Or, continued many?

7. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Sorry, not thread. That address 127.0.0.1 is a loopback, and it's probably making sure that when you shut down, it will save everything for reboot..

8. vanillag1rl

vanillag1rl

But I dont think his imcoming mail server should be set to a loopback.

9. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Yep, you're right, about the incoming mail, okay, let's go back to the start. It only happens to one of the identities. So, let's isolate the properties of each of the identities...And, maybe we
    should have a hijackthis log posted...

10. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    HJT is clean ...checked it out.
    The user just added some new special features to their McAfee so I highly suspect it's in there somewheres. I've googled and found a number of references either to a virus changing things to 127.0.0.1 or most likely the loop back issue within an anti-virus or better yet and anti-spam products.
    (Edited: And it may have something to do with who's account/identity was active at the time of the upgrade.)

This link comes close ..http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq.asp?frames=1&docid=276125&CategoryId=243&chat=

11. hewee

hewee

Look at your hosts file.

Norton AV adds this to the hosts file so my guess you got something the same.

127.0.0.1 pop3.norton.antivirus # Added by Norton AntiVirus for e-Mail scanning
    127.0.0.1 pop3.spa.norton.antivirus # Added by Norton AntiVirus for e-Mail scanning

12. vanillag1rl

vanillag1rl

Did you look at mcafrees spamming tab from the secuirty center.
    See if mail is getting forward to that?

13. vanillag1rl

vanillag1rl

But you said its only happening to that one user?

14. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Thanks all...
    Unfortunately I'm not at the client's.

FYI Hewee, When I was there last, I ran Hoster and restored original hosts.
    Checked it at that time and there were only two entires 1) blank and the other the 127.0.0.1 default as per normal.

My client is using the Mcafee and did acknowledge adding some of the new features..., they were unsure as to how to configure it.. so I suspect something is screwed up. At the time I was there, my time was cut short and did not get into the McAfee issue...so.. next time I'm out, I'll do a more thorough job, now that I have some direction.

Appreciate the help all, but wait for my next post when I can report some more accurate details. I will advise you of the status regardless... (always interested in leaving the threads with a solution if possible for those who come after with similar probs.

15. hewee

hewee

Maybe they added a # in front of something for Mcafee when they should not have so it killed the line.
    Also if they have a router see what happen without the router.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!