1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Incoming!!!.......

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by sherri29, May 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sherri29

sherri29 Thread Starter

Hi....don't know if there is an answer for my "problem" or not...Hope so.

it is now 3:19 in the afternoon (Central St. Time) There has been something coming in ...in my OE e/mail (I have 6.0, and dial up)...This "whatever" has been "receiving" since 15 min. until 2:00 (1:45 p.m.)..it is still coming in...
    Is their any way that I can purge incoming...I don't know what it is...and don't care what it is....I don't want it anyhow...

I have been e/mailing my sis in Houston back and forth this morning with no problem, and we have just finished on the phone...and it isn't she who is sending me something.

I just want to know what I can do to stop this from coming in...it is tying up my computer for other 3/mails, and I can't send any out until this is finished...

I did shut my computer down...and I got the (yellow triangle with exclaimation point ) saying error...but closed that and shut down anyhow...waited a few minutes then turned the computer back on.....and it started still coming in...

Can anybody help here...please tell me what I can do....aside from pitching the computer out the window. :mad:

Thanks,
    sherri

P.S. it is now 3:27 and still coming in.

2. angel

angel

I'm assuming this email account is through your ISP? If so, it's likely they offer a webmail option so you can check your email from anywhere. Login through the web and delete the email from there.

3. sherri29

sherri29 Thread Starter

Hi Angel...please excuse my ignorance about computers...I don't know how to do much more than send and receive e/mail and look stuff up on Google, and instant message.
    Our phone service is just one step up from some string and a couple of tin cans. I have never tried to read my e/mail from anywhere other than right here where I am sitting.
    I know I must sound pretty stupid to you when it comes to computers...but that is just the was it is....I don't even know what you mean when you say..."Log-in thru the web"...I don't know how.
    But thank you for taking the time to tell me this. I appreciate it.
    sherri

4. angel

angel

Who is your Internet Service Provider? Or at least what's after the @ sign in your email address.

5. sherri29

sherri29 Thread Starter

Hi Angel...well, the "BIG" file finally made it here....It was the Newsletter from the place where my husband used to work...and the sender didn't reduce anything....it was 6 pages [email protected] !! (husband said that was a large file)...and not only did she send it once ....she thought it would do better the second time!!....(again at 11.8MB)... it ALL finally got here at 6:40p.m. (and started coming in at 1:45 p.m....that was 5 hours of not getting anything else in or being able to send anything else out....I just love dial-up!....NOT!...see what I mean about our phone co. there is no other option. DSL is not available)..I was ready to block that sender (until I found out where it was from)...we have been getting them once a week since September...but this time the sender messed up big time. If it happens again I will block it. Thanks for trying to help.

6. HBLEAV

HBLEAV

Hi Sherri.

I too am on dial-up.. So what I do.. when a large file is taking FOREVER to come in.. I close out.. Go to my address bar(where you put in www.sites)..

Then type in Mail2web.com.. This is an "outside server" that can handle larger mail. and you can see what it is.. It doesn't get to go to your ISP.. thus hanging up..

Helene

7. sherri29

sherri29 Thread Starter

Great! thanks Helene....
    I almost need pictures when something is being explained to me, for I am STILL so computer illiterate.
    after I type in Mail2web.com and it takes me there...do I need to type in anything else?...

8. sekirt

sekirt

sherri29
    It shouldn't be the way it is. You should spend some time at your library or a book store. There is no required test like when applying for a drivers license but if you are going to use a computer, you should know the basics.

Books that I recommend, I have read a few of these, are the "Dummies" series. That is no reflection on you. They contain a wealth of easy to understand information.

You will have to know what version of Windows you have and then find the appropriate book for it. For instance if you have Windows 98....the book would be called Windows 98 for Dummies.

By the description you gave....it appears you just shut off your computer.
    You had 2 other possible choices. Neither of them would have caused a problem. By clicking the send/receive button when the email was coming in, you have a button labeled "stop." The other more drastic way would be to use Ctrl+Alt+Del (Control + Alternate + Delete).

The other thing, an email of 11.8MB is unheard of except in special cases. Most email servers limit the size to something lower than 3MB. Which is still a huge file. I am sure the 2nd one was a malfunction of some sort - just too bad it happened on such a huge file. I would definitely contact the sender and explain your situation, no matter who they are.

Unless it is a close personal friend or a special situation, I won't bother with an email larger than 500KB. To give you some perspective, a floppy disk holds 1.44MB. Your email would fill slightly more than 8 floppies! Almost three of my 500KB limit would fit on 1 floppy.

Dial-up is just fine for casual use and nothing to be ashamed of. If you were running a business and could justify the cost for DSL, Cable or other faster connection, that would be different.

sekirt

9. sherri29

sherri29 Thread Starter

Hi Sekirt..and to quote you too:

<By the description you gave....it appears you just shut off your computer.
    You had 2 other possible choices. Neither of them would have caused a problem. By clicking the send/receive button when the email was coming in, you have a button labeled "stop." The other more drastic way would be to use Ctrl+Alt+Del (Control + Alternate + Delete).

The other thing, an email of 11.8MB is unheard of except in special cases. Most email servers limit the size to something lower than 3MB. Which is still a huge file. I am sure the 2nd one was a malfunction of some sort - just too bad it happened on such a huge file. I would definitely contact the sender and explain your situation, no matter who they are.>

I did the other 2 choices .....and when they didn't work...that is when I shut the computer OFF.
    And no, there was no malfunction..the lady even apologized for sending the second one...(she was hoping it would do better than the first...but it worked the same way...nothing was changed. )..and I am not the only one this happened to...we are but one on a long list of retirees from a very big corporation....and when she sent it the second time, she did apologize for the big file, and she hoped this second one would "do" better. but as I found out it didn't. My husband said she was probably new....or even a "Temp"...and it most likely won't be like this next week.

Sorry I am so dumb on this computer Sekirt...some things come easy to some people...and then there are people like me....I can't pick up computer "smarts" like I might pick up something else like.... maybe my job as Parts Manager at the Chevrolet dealership.

I have had all the "Dummies" books...(didn't like them) but I went and bought me 3 more books today titled .........
    "Teach yourself Visually" 1) Computers 2) Windows XP and 3)Digital Photography...Maybe I can learn a little something, but I am sure I will never be able to know as much as you do.
    All I can do is try.
    Thanks

10. sekirt

sekirt

Before you make me smarter than I am....I overlooked one other obvious way to stop the email. By simply clicking the modem icon in the system tray and choosing disconnect.

While honesty ranks high on my list, I do think you are being too rough on yourself. A constant theme in your posts seemed to be that you are not smart enough. Believe me, I am not smart enough. There is no upper limit to smart. I was only suggesting a way to get basic information. And it seems you are making every effort. Hopefully one day you will be scanning the forum and realize that you know the answer to someone's question. And perhaps show the people sending you 11MB emails how to do it efficiently.

There are many talented people here, I hope you continue to post any problems that come up. I have helped you in the past and will gladly help again if I am able.

sekirt

11. HBLEAV

HBLEAV

Hi Sherri.

Sorry I didnt' get back to you till now..

When you type in Mail2web.com.. You have to use your password, the one you signed up with - thats your ISP password.. and that will take you directly there..

You can then - not only see the emails.. but also the size.. When I see something that is so large.. I just delete them

Most people I know are on cable or dsl.. and they can send files that are very large. and they do hang up on regular dial-up.. believe me. I know.. Especially when someone is sending a picture. if they use a jpg.. or something. and its not the right size.. it can take 10 minutes to come in.. BUT, if you use mail2web.com... then it'll come in. you can view it. and then delete it.. before it goes to your regular email.. If it still - is sending to your regular email.. I would just cancel it.. If you can't cancel. which sometimes, happens.. Just click on that yellow thingy. and see if you can do it that way. if not..
    Do. as I suggested before. and as Sekirt suggested.. Just disconnect. and it'll be gone..

Take care.
    Helene

12. sherri29

sherri29 Thread Starter

Yes Sekirt...you have helped me in the past as has everyone else...If it weren't for y'all on this forum I would still be scratching everything out on my stone tablet with chisel in hand. <S>

I did do the disconnect thing...Everything that I told you about doing...I did twice...if not 3 times...the last time I just closed everything except Norton, and Inbox....and walked away and fixed supper and cleaned up the kitchen...I heard when the mail was in...came to check and see what took so long, and that is when I found out.

It would be great if I could pick this stuff up quick, but there are just some things that don't come east to me and I guess this computer is one of them...but I am persistant...and in the long run, it does pay off.
    Again Thanks, and I will be coming back for further questions.
    Sherri

13. sherri29

sherri29 Thread Starter

Thanks Helene...When you click on the "disconnect" (on the tv screen in the tray...is that not the same thing as clicking on "Start" and then "turn off"? because I did that several times...and when I would come back online and start back up (I also had to click on "connect") that darn thing would still be coming in.
    But y'all have helped me this time...If it happens again I will know to go to Mail2Web.com and to also/or either hit the "disconnect" button..
    Thanks
    Have a great weekend
    sherri

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/228981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice