1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

incompatable ram or do I need a BIOS update?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LauraOliver, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LauraOliver

LauraOliver Thread Starter

I decided to upgrade the ram on my 12 year old Dell Power Edge Server 1300-500. The exisiting ram had a lable with these numbers
    d32m72s4r8v36T100.d
    1B52R329E22-A6F
    004 XA0661
    0100-222622R
    So with the help of an online chat guy I order 3 sticks of what we thought matched....32x72-100MHz PC100, 168p DIMM, 3.3v, Sync, ECC, Registered.

With the 1 older and 3 new sticks installed I get the following message: Alert, unbufferred and registered DRAM DIMMS can not be mixed.

The online chat guy assures me that both the old ram and the new ram are registered and that I am only getting the message because I need a BIOS update.

I rebooted the server and pushed F2 and see that my server has BIOS A07 and the ram says 256MB ECC DRAM.

Is the error message correct? Or do I need a BIOS update?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

If you boot with one of the new sticks, does the RAM description change to include "Registered" or "Buffered" in the description? Also, does the old RAM have a small chip or several small chips that run horizontally below the rest chips?

You can do the BIOS update if you like, there's no mention of memory compatibility in the newer releases though.

3. LauraOliver

LauraOliver Thread Starter

The server will not even turn on with any of the new ram sticks.
    We have tried a single stick.
    We have tried a pair.
    We have tried all three.
    It will turn on with the old stick and the 3 new sticks, but it only shows 256, not 1GB.
    When we get a slack time I will remove the old ram and look for those chips.
    Thanks
    Laura

4. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

5. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

I doubt the BIOS update will get them to work, but you can try as there may be undocumented changes regarding the RAM.

More likely the RAM is incompatible. Where did you buy it from?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1058767