incompatible hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

biggrobbstud

I have a western digital My World Book II and I recently upgraded to Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit edition. I didnt think I would have a problem but WD said this drives software (Mionet) that allows me to access the drive through the network can only be loaded on the 32 bit version. I dont know why but is there any way to patch something and trick the system to get this to work??? its a 1ter drive so I have tons of stuff on there... Thanks in advance

Format the drive and dump the software, you don't need to to be visible through a usb port anyway. Accessing through a network only involves allowing sharing on the drive.

biggrobbstud

what will formatting the drive do??? why am I dumping software??? I dont need it to be visible through USB. the drive doesnt even have that ability. Its only accessible through a network cable and a router. I need to assign a drive letter to it so I can have Itunes and my media server find it automatically... Any help with that??? The installation program wont load on 64 bit vista.

You don't need the software to be seen by a 32 bit or 64 bit pc.

biggrobbstud

I can see it and access it but I cant get it a drive letter. Is there anybody that can help me assign this a drive letter???

Open Start > Network... does the drive show up on the network?

If you can figure out what it's IP address is, try using Internet Explorer to access its setup by opening it using the IP address:

http://192.168.1.100/

The browser-based access should allow you to create a SHARE that will be named.

Once that SHARE is created, try going to Start > right click on Computer > choose Map Network Drive.

Choose a drive letter you're not using, and for Folder put: \\192.168.1.100\share_name

See if that gets it online. It is only the software for interfacing with the device's setup that you can't use. You should still be able to access the drive over the network pretty easily...

biggrobbstud

I dont know about creating a share. but what I did do is I just went to start, right clicked on computer like you said, and mapped a drive and it seems to be working splendidly. THANK YOU so much for your interest and support. Just curious, how do you create a share and will it benefit me.

Don't worry about the share. I thought that it might be necessary to create one, but it's possible that the drive by default already had one. In any case, you're already connected to the drive, so it's a moot point (it won't offer any additional benefit). :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online