1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Inconsistant Headers - 2007

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by xredvette6, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xredvette6

xredvette6 Thread Starter

I am writing a paper which requires headers. The first two pages are fine however once I hit page three or more the header margin goes half way down the page. I don't see a way to have variable header spacing for different pages so I have no idea why this is happening or how to correct it?

2. The Villan

The Villan

Not quite clear what the real issue is, but you probably need to use section breaks to control your headers and footers.

So if the following is not what you are looking for, please post back and explain further.

If you want to be able to create different types of headers or footers in different pages. you need to be introducing Section Breaks.
    Section Breaks allow you to create specific headers and footers and page orientation and page numbering etc etc.
    A section can be one paragraph/onepage/several pages depending on your requirements.

To create these sections, you have to insert page breaks from the following menu.
    Firstly place the cursor where you want the new section break to be.
    Click on the Page Layout ribbon
    Click on the drop down icon for Breaks, from the page setup section.
    The section break you will probably use most of the time is Section Breaks, Next Page.

Once you have done that, you are now free to format each section independantly, once you are in the specific section.

Notice on the bottom of each page, you will see something like

-------------------------------------------Section Break (next page)--------------------------------------

instead of the normal page break.

A normal page break, only allows you to have one style of header or footer fior each page or only to have portrait or Lanscape for each page.

I hope that helps a bit.

3. xredvette6

The issue I'm having is that I need to have the same header spacing on every page. I have not set any special rules or page breaks. The header on the first 2 pages is perfect. For some reason the header on page 3 and forward takes up about half the page. The content of the header is fine and does have the same placement as the other pages however the actual header space takes up half the page so my body text starts in the middle of the page. I have tried to remove the header and reapply it, tried to remove any phanthom spacing in the header, but nothing is allowing me to reduce the "header margin" on the 3rd page.

4. The Villan

The Villan

Are you able to upload an example, excluding any confidential info.
    That way we can have a look and see what the problem appears to be.

5. xredvette6

Thank you for trying to help... I was able to figure this out. For some reason the pages in question had the vertical alignment set to center rather than top. Thanks again for your responses.

6. The Villan

The Villan

Ah OK Glad you managed to sort it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!