1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

inconsistent hanging on startup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stokeboy, Dec 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stokeboy

stokeboy Thread Starter

I'm trying to fix a startup problem with Win98Se but don't know where to start... I could really use some help from the experts!

The machine is a Celeron 500MHz running 98SE and hangs everytime, somewhere during bootup.

It has hung at the following (many times):

Verifying DMI Pool
    98 Startup screen (in safe mode or normal)
    During Diskcheck of C: due to not being shutdown properly (sometime early other times near the end of the check 60%+)

Additional info

Sometimes I get no response from the keyboard, other times I can turn Caps lock on and off.

I've resteated all the connections and cards, even tried booting with just video, HDD and RAM - same inconsistent problem.

There was loose wire on the CPU fan so I have removed the fan, it doesn't appear to have made a difference.

I get disk errors when I try and boot from a floppy (drive looks dirty)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    SB

2. Bengaul

Bengaul

Have you tried starting again? It seems like there is a lot of corrupt data on the hard drive. Maybe a new HDD, how old is the current one?

3. stokeboy

stokeboy Thread Starter

Very quick - thanks!

Drive has been in there a long time. Do you think it is a software problem? Will a reinstall of 98 fix it?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If it hangs at this point "Verifying DMI Pool" then its a hardware problem. Maybe bad RAM or a BIOS problem. try reseating the CMOS using the jumper on the motherboard or by temporarily removing the battery. Also, if you have more then one stick of RAM, then try them one at a time.

Also RAM testers: http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads26.html

5. Kyle015

Kyle015

What Triple6 said about resetting the CMOS might be better than what I have to say, but you can try it. Go into the BIOS menu, and on the right side, you will see an option that is "load fail-safe defaults". Select this than save and exit. Try this...it solved a lot of my computer problems.

6. catlady13

catlady13

Am I missing something here or are you running without a cpu fan ?

7. stokeboy

stokeboy Thread Starter

Yes, the fan was working intermittently when I 1st opened the box, then stopped completely.

If the fan has cased the CPU to overheat is it likely to be permenantly damaged?

Its a Celeron 500Mhz & a QDI Advance 9 Mobo. Will I need to replace them both?

8. catlady13

catlady13

Yes very likely. I am suprised your computer will run at all without a cpu fan. Did it have a heat sink as well ? You NEED something to take the heat away from the cpu. Your motherboard MIGHT be okay, but I bet your cpu is cooked. I repeat MIGHT. You should have powered down immediately when you saw your cpu fan wasn't working and replaced it before booting up again. And sorry to be redundant but you DO mean cpu fan and not case fan?
    Anybody else got ideas on this one???

9. stokeboy

stokeboy Thread Starter

It does have a heatsink and yes unfortunately I do mean CPU fan!

I've swapped everything out with spare parts now, except CPU and Motherboard. Without spares to test further I guess I'll have to buy new CPU and Mboard compatible with my RAM and HDD.

10. catlady13

catlady13

Well it COULD be just the cpu.. but .. yes could also be the motherboard... hard lesson to learn..
    Mind you are going to need a new heatsink and fan if youbuy a new cpu anyway .. you could try that and see ..

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Wow, I missed the part about the CPU fan all together. You'll need to put on a fan right away and hope the CPU isn't fried. The mobo shouldn't be damaged but who knows.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/184079

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice