1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Inconsistent Internet Access at work

Discussion in 'Networking' started by steelbydesign, Feb 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steelbydesign

steelbydesign Thread Starter

This has only been an issue for the past couple of weeks. Previously, at work I could connect to all websites just fine. I'm on Windows 7.

Some websites work completely fine, and I'm able to connect quickly and reliably every time (gmail for example). Some website I can almost never connect to successfully (espn for example), they either time out and say this connection timed out or it partially loads like this [​IMG] . Other websites (sharefile is one we use for work) seem about 50/50 and won't work several times, and then 5 minutes later will load just fine.

So far, I've disabled wifi on my laptop to make sure I'm using the ethernet connection. I've had others at work go to sites that don't work for me to make sure some aren't blocked by IT (they work fine for them). I've tried changing my dock my laptop is on. I've tried using a different Ethernet cord. None have fixed the issue. The issue is the same in Chrome, firefox, or IE.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Have you tried connecting to the sites that are problematic at work, when at home, on the laptop.
    That of course will test if the problem is your laptop, or the connection at work.

Presuming you can ask IT, meaning that it is an allowed practice at work - have you asked them.

Are you trying to connect using a saved bookmark etc. If so try by typing in the URL eg
    http://www.espn.co.uk/

or whatever it is where you are.

You may try flushing dns cache
    Domain name server
    Flush the DNS Cache

In some cases, flushing the DNS cache may help. You can flush the DNS by holding down the Windows key on your keyboard and pressing R to bring up the Run box. Then type
    ipconfig /flushdns

Reboot the computer and try again

If that does not work try
    1. Select “Start“, and type “CMD
    2. Right-click “Command Prompt“, then choose “Run as Administrator“.
    3. Select “Yes” on the User Account Control box.
    4. From the command prompt, type the following, then press “Enter“:
    netsh int ip reset

Reboot after the cmd

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Having seen my reply a response from you would be appreciated

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222737

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice