1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Incorrect Boot Up / Bad Registry

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by supermonzon, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. supermonzon

supermonzon Thread Starter

Hi there,

I need help to fix windows XP.

I can't boot up correctly. When I turn my computer on, I just get to the desktop picture, but the rest of Windows doesn't load. I don't get the taskbar, I don't get my desktop icons and I don't get my START button.
    I have been able to "reach" some of my computer by using the task manager to open things, but that's about it. Safe mode doesn't work either.

Before having this problem I had had a few virus/malware problems, and I had removed this malicious and "botherous" programs. I had also set a recovery point (but safe mode didn't prompt me to recover). One of these viruses had a process named printer.exe. The virus was removed, but on startup windows "wanted" to load printer.exe, and it displayed an error saying something like it couldn't load this thing. I figured out it was in the registry, and I wanted to get rid of the error. I know it wasn't the smartest thing, but I searched the registry for printer.exe and found it under shell. I was something like C:/windows/system32/printer.exe. I deleted the whole line and thought that when I rebooted the PC it would do it fine, but that's when it all started. I managed to rewrite the line under "shell", but it doesn't work yet.

I believe the registry might be damaged. On startup windows is not loading important parts of it. Since I have access to most of my computer, I'm planning to backup a lot of things and fixing this issue, but I do need help on how to diagnose and fix the problem. Could you guys point me in the right direction? I can run superantispyware, which is installed in my computer (and I removed noskrnl.exe). How can I check the registry? How can I assure that windows loads all of its components when it starts up? Please let me know.

Is there a way to check (with software) if a registry is complete and functional?

Thanks a lot for your help.

All the best,

Bernardo

PS I had already posted this somewhere else (other site), just in case somebody finds it...

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try starting up, opening Task Manager, going to File, New Task, and typing: explorer.exe

I'll look for a reg file for the shell.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Attached is a zip file with a reg file inside. It specifies explorer.exe as the shell (and I added userinit for good measure). Unzip it and put it on a floppy or somewhere accessible to your sick system. Double-click the reg file, merge it, and restart.

Attached Files:

4. supermonzon

supermonzon Thread Starter

Wow! Thank you so much, Elvandil. I couldn't have found it myself, and I'm so thankful that you took the trouble to even send me the reg file.

I knew I had to find a solution somewhere when I saw that most things were available in my sick computer. I could use internet, I could use emule, I could use programs, but basically the "windows soul" was gone.

Now, thinking about the future. Can I stay protected from internet malware by using freeware? Is there a thread on what steps to take to prevent this bad stuff from happening? I would think about a bootup disk, about a backup of the most important files in windows and maybe a few programs that clean or repair certain damage, for example.

And about this problem, again, thank you very much. Your solution allowed me to repair in five minutes what had been worrying me a few days.

All the best,

Bernardo

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

You're very welcome. I never tried that particular fix before (OK. So you were a sort of guinea-pig, but I wasn't testing a questionable Ebola vaccine or anything and didn't expect my file would cause problems, even if it didn't work).

I think it's very possible to stay clean with freeware. Get a good antivirus (Avast, AVG, other good free ones). And here's some scanners:

Free anti-malware scanners:

Spybot S&D
    Ad-Aware 2007
    SuperAntiSpyware
    Spyware Eliminator

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools above.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

For backup, there is nothing quite like a complete disk image that can restore your whole system, even if the drive fails.

Free Drive Cloners/Imagers:

CloneZilla
    XXClone
    CloneZilla GParted LiveCD
    Partition Saving
    PCI CloneMaxx
    Drive Image XML
    EaseUs Disk Copy
    HDClone
    DriveClonerXP

Commercial Apps:

O&O DiskImage
    Acronis True Image Home
    Keriver Image
    Avanquest Copy Commander
    Paragon Drive Backup
    NovaBackup
    R-Drive Image
    Norton Ghost
    HDClone Pro or Enterprise
    Terabyte Image for Windows
    Terabyte Image for DOS (can directly access FAT, FAT32, and NTFS partitions)
    Spotmau Disk Clone & Backup

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

For recovery, there is nothing as good as a bootable operating system: www.ubcd4win.com

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651163

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice