1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Incorrect fonts displayed

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by thagema, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thagema

thagema Thread Starter

I hope someone can help me with this one.
    Every once in a while, well most of the time actually, the fonts turn into nice squares and the arrows for the start-up menu and drop down menus become numbers.
    Most of the text in IE also turns into squares.
    I just re-installed Windows 98 Se.
    I think its a problem with my video card, but I am really hoping its not since its less than a year old and the company has been bought out (its a Voodoo 4).
    Please someone help me correct this problem.
    System Info: 400Mhz Athlon, 192 mb RAM, AWE 64 Soundcard, Voodoo 4 video card, Windows 98 Se

2. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

Some things I would check:

1. Do you have the latest drivers for the card
    2. Do you have the latest version of DirectX (8.1)
    3. Have you verified that all the programs you frequently run have no known conflicts with the Voodoo card?

Some things I would try:

1. Changing color depth (Display Properties / Settings in Control panel)
    2. Changing screen resolution to a higher or lower value
    3. Replacing the voodoo driver with a generic monitor driver to see whether the problem continues
    4. If you have a very large bitmap file as a background image, get rid of it
    5. Under Display Properties, Effects, Visual Effects, uncheck some or all of the options listed there
    6. Disable Active Desktop, if you are using it
    7. Under the Display Properties / Settings / Advanced / Performance tab, try reducing the Hardware Acceleration
    8. Boot your computer in SAFE MODE (some things show up in Safe Mode you can't see in normal mode), start Device Manager, and make sure there is only one monitor and video card listed. if there is more than one, delete the wrong ones and restart. If you can't tell which is wrong, first delete BOTH monitors, and restart. Windows will add the monitor back (possibly with the generic driver) See if this corrects the problem. I suppose you can also safely delete both video cards, if more than one is shown, but I've never tried it personally, and I would do it on a separate boot from the monitor.

These are just general things to try. With any luck, someone who's experienced this problem will also respond.

3. fiatspider79

fiatspider79

I have been having the same problem except that my font is a series of vertical lines of varrying width, almost like a barcode.

I do have the Win98se disk. Should I do a reinstall of the system files?

I will try the fixes mentioned. It is frustrating.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64219

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice