1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Incorrect Function

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by firewalker27, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. firewalker27

firewalker27 Thread Starter

I am trying to load MS Windows XP Professional on my wife's computer. I have formatted the hard drive and inserted the disk, but I keep getting an incorrect function error message. What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it? :confused:

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

3. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Scratch that, that is AFTER you get it installed.

4. firewalker27

Here is what led me to this problem. The boot disks worked fine and the setup started. I do not think the DVD-ROM that I have actually read the disk, so I swapped out drives. The new drive is where I get the incorrect function message. But if I put the disk in the original drive, it does not read. What am I to do? :confused:

5. zmaster

zmaster

You shouldn't need the boot disks at all, xp loads from just the cd. But in saying that the boot disks should have loaded any driver that the cd drive would have needed. Have you changed your boot sequence in BIOS?

6. firewalker27

How do I get there from the XP setup that comes up after the boot disks?

7. firewalker27

If my BIOS screen shows that a bootable CD does not exist in the drive, can it still work?

8. zmaster

zmaster

Just start your computer up without any of the boot disks in your floppy drive and your xp cd in the cd drive. While it is booting up it should have "press del to enter BIOS" or something similar. It could possibly be F2, F10. It usually tells you how to get to BIOS. Then when your in there. You have to find the boot order. Just change it so that it reads from cd first then save changes and exit. It will also tell you how to change these settings (usually to the right or on the bottom of the screen)

9. zmaster

zmaster

the xp cd is bootable

10. firewalker27

The XP CD I have is not reading as a bootable disk, should I re-burn the disk? I had tried to use a Win98 Boot Disk to get to a DOS prompt, use that to access the cd rom, enter setup, I got a message that said that an internal setup error has occurred. Could not find a place for a swap file. Setup cannot continue. Press enter to exit. What the heck does this mean, and would it be easier to junk my computer?

11. zmaster

zmaster

did you change your boot sequence? It might not boot off the cd if you haven't got your boot sequence with cd-drive first

12. firewalker27

the boot sequence on my computer is still on CD first, though the cd is not reading. :confused:

13. firewalker27

I am using a burnt CD to retry setup, could that be the problem?

14. Old Rich

Old Rich

Yes it could . . some cd-rom drves will not read a home brewed disc . .

wrs

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275869

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice