1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Incorrect Hard Drive Usage Being Reported.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by NF2K, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NF2K

NF2K Thread Starter

Hello all,

I couldn't determine whether this is being caused by the OS or the Hardware, but here goes. I recently decided my HD was due a reformatting. I transferred files my clean (virus-scanned) files onto an external HD and back again after reinstalling Windows XP (SP2).
    Reinstalled the most crucial drivers first, and whilst reinstalling various applications, I saw a small notification pop-up in the bottom right informing me that my C drive is running low on storage, then again soon after informing me it's critically low.

Bringing up the properties of my C drive displays the following:
    [​IMG]
    Bringing up the properties of the contents of the C drive (including hidden and protected operating system files/folders) displays the following:
    [​IMG]

I also opened up disk defragmenter to see if that had anything to say which might help, and though it reports the same inaccurate usage for C, in the top pane, the graphical chart seen at the bottom would indicate that around 50% of C Drive space is unused:
    [​IMG]

I've never encountered anything like this before and really have no idea how to further analyse the problem; any suggestions apprechiated, thanks. :)

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

What files?

Was it just data files or all of the files on the old supposedly clean drive like Windows, program, and data files?

3. NF2K

NF2K Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, it was only the majority of contents from "My Documents", no files which should affect the way the system operates. Mainly just videos, music, images and documents. I reformatted and reinstalled used my Windows XP CD, and haven't replaced any files the OS uses to operate. Just made the usual changes from control panel, things like resolution, preferences such as language settings, and installed necessary drivers from the CDs I have. Nothing which I imagine could cause such odd behaviour.

4. charlton3k

charlton3k

Do u have any jumpers in your hard drive as they could set it to a low size?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/582222