Incorrect HD size reporting

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TWarner

I have just fitted a Seagate 40Gb HD and new ASUS A7V266 MB. The MB BIOS correctly reports the HD size as 40Gb but W98SE only reports it as 25.7Gb. Seagate support says I must fit a PCI card with its own BIOS to enable W98 to use the full size of the HD. This seems almost unbelievable that such a new MB cannot pass on the correct info to the OS without extra hardware and tweaking, especially as its BIOS is reporting correctly . ASUS support have not replied to my queries. Has anyone out there any ideas without having to reformat the HD as I now have over 10Gb on it!!

RandyG 🎂

It's my birthday!
Welcome to TSG!

The Bios is going to recognise the harddrive as a device, but Windows will only recognise it by whatever the partition size is.

Is it possible that you have a D: drive that contains the remaining 10 GB?

I know that you can run fdisk to see what partitions have been set, and whether or not you have remaining hard drive that has not been partitioned properly, but running this removes your data, as your drive gets formatted.

Partition Magic would be able to do this without losing all your data, but that costs money.

Maybe someone else will come up with something more helpful!

Hi TWarner

You can do as RandyG suggests and run FDISK pick option 4 to display your partition information. (If you just do this it will not erase any data.) Post back the results and we can figure out what to do next. Right now even if you got an additional controller card or a bios update for your motherboard, you would still need to repartition and reformat the drive for it to use the full space.

TWarner

Thanks for the reply
I simply followed the instructions with the HD to fit and format. I did not specify any partitioning so had no reason to think there would be anything other than one partition but see below. Is it possible to specify more than one partition by mistake? I certainly never replied to any questions about partitioning or set any options regarding to partitioning.

FDISK reports the following:
Current fixed disk drive: 1
Partition Status Type Mbytes System Usage
1 Non-DOS 5899 15%
C: 2 A PRI DOS 26349 FAT32 69%

Total disk space is 38162 Mbytes

What's the partition 1 mean as there seems to be nearly 6Gb there?
I'm given the option in FDISK to make this partition 'active' but am reluctant to try this in case I loose information.
Have you any advise please?

I'd suggest grabbing a copy of PartitionMagic and resizing your 'main' partition. Not only do you have that 1st partition of 5899 MB (what for? I have no idea) but you also have 5914 MB if unpartitioned space. Total it all up and you've found your missing space. With PartitionMagic, you can either resize to use the entire drive (including the 1st non-dos partition and the unused space) or maybe set it up differently (with multiple partitions) depending on your needs.
I'm sure there are some partitioning utils out there that are free but I've never used them so can't personally recommend anything other than PM.

Yes as angel said the problem is that there is a non dos partition on your hard drive and that the drive is not partitioned as one big hard drive. You will have to remove the non dos partition and create an extended dos partition for the rest of the drive. You can decide if you want one big hard drive or a few partitions on the drive (easier). Use Partition magic or "Partition Resizer" a freeware program from http://www.rocketdownload.com/details/misc/presizer.htm

if you want one big partition.

I haven't used either program so I can't say which is best to use.

(Of course the easist thing to do would be to use FDISK to delete all the partitions on the drive and then create one big one with FDISK, but this would cause you to LOSE ALL THE DATA you have put on the drive).

BOL

TWarner

Thanks for all the assistance.
The real mystery is where this partition 1 came from. As I said, It was a new HD which I just formatted with the supplied disc wizard. Nothing was mentioned about partitions.
Anyway, I'll try 'Partition Resizer' when I can get on the site. This, presumably will not loose my data?

Yes it's kind of strange that you have this partition. Most drives come with no partition and you need to FDISK it. Your disk wizard software should have set it up correctly. Yes the partition resizer or partition magic SHOULD change things without destroying the data but to be on the safe side you should back up any important data you have before starting.

RandyG 🎂

It's my birthday!
Do you have a program called Goback? That reserves about 10% of your Hard drive to save it's information to. If this was part of your "package" then that would explain the hidden partition. removing this partition will cause Goback to not function, so make sure that is not the case.

I do know that for the last 2 years or so, Gateway systems were shipped with Goback included.

TWarner

Don't have 'Goback'. I'm now waiting for a reply from the authur of Partition Resizer to see if he can throw any light on the situation before I run the programme.

if you don't have goback and you have access to a 10 GB hard drive (I don't know...maybe your old drive??) you can put everything on that one and wipe everything out on the seagate and start that way and use fdisk, but that is just what I would do as I would be killing two birds with one stone. (backing up your data and solving the problem, and to me that is also the easiest way to back up 10 GB, but maybe there's new stuff out there that I haven't paid attention to) anyway...just a thought

also, for what it's worth, I have tried working with seagates before and they haven't been all that fun, but that's just my experiences. Once when I was using disk wizzard it did something similar and I couldn't figure out why, and on a 2.1 GB drive I was missing 600 or so MB, which is more or less your 25%. It ended up staying a mystery.

Before you go and reinstall or resize or anything else. Did you upgrade the MB bios before all of this. I have the same board and had to flash the bios. Factory settings would recognize but not support the 40 MB HD. Even after flashing you will have to do everything else also, but this would save you a step. I think the latest version is 1005.005

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online