1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Incorrect HD size!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Supernoobs, Jun 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Supernoobs

Supernoobs Thread Starter

Hey everbody!

I ran into a bit of a problem yesterday. I reformatted my HD and installed Windows XP on it. Everything worked fine untill the next time I booted my system. It just gave me a black screen after the BIOS messages and didn't start Windows. I tried running the fixmbr utility in the windows recovery console, but after that everything got screwed up. Now it says my HD is only 2 gig, when it should be 20. I tried doing everything already, but even in the installation screen of Windows XP it says it's 2 gig large. This is not a partitioning problem; I tried fdisk and partition magic: They all say the whole disk is 2 gigs.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Have you tried updating you Bios?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'd reinstall Windows again. When doing so delete the existing partitions and create a new one - you should do that by using the Windows XP CD and not FDISK.

4. Supernoobs

No, but everything worked fine before, so it shouldn't be a problem now either, right? But I'll check if there exists an update, just to make sure.

5. Supernoobs

"I tried doing everything already, but even in the installation screen of Windows XP it says it's 2 gig large. This is not a partitioning problem; I tried fdisk and partition magic: They all say the whole disk is 2 gigs."

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Enter the BIOS setup and redetect the hard drive or see what it reports for the size of the drive.

7. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

What size does your BIOS report the hard drive.

Check in Partition MAgic and with FDISK.

What file system does the drive have.

If it is FAT16 not FAT32 or NTFS then it is limited to just 2 GB.

The most usual cause of this is not saying Yes to the question re large disk support when partitioning a hard drive using FDISK.

If you have Partition Magic. Then create another partition to use the remaining 18GB, then merge the two partitions together.

With Windows XP you can use

Disk Management to create a new partition in th eunallocated space.

hth

Ceri

8. Supernoobs

The BIOS reports the drive as 20 gig. So could the problem be that by using the fixmbr command it was formatted in FAT16 file format? I've used Partition Magic and it just listed the drive as 2 gig WITHOUT any unallocated space, but I haven't paid attention to the file format. So when I get back home, the first thing I'll do is check the file format and then I'll get back to you.

Thanks for the help!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/476668

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice