Incorrect Length of DVD Video Object Files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TauDudeBlobber

I have a folder of family videos in the DVD format (VOB, IFO, BUP, all inside a VIDEO_TS folder) that I am trying to convert but the converted files are shorter than they are supposed to be (like less than 1 minute when most of them should be over an hour). I have looked in to my problem and it seems to be a timecode issue, but I have downloaded 2 programs that claim to fix these issues (VideoReDo and MPEG Streamclip) and neither of them have fixed them. Also, only VTS_01_1.VOB is even accessible from the DVD menus, and it appears to have the correct length when accessed that way. How do I get the full length of these video files?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 17763, Installed 20190720131439.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Hard Drives: C: 111 GB (12 GB Free);
Motherboard: Panasonic Corporation CF53-2, ver 1, s/n None
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver MATBIO - 1072009, s/n 2ITYA24769
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Try renaming the .vob extension to .mp4, can you work with these videos ??
I would have ripped the DVD with Handbrake to a mp4 and used .. Video >> Constant Framerate .. to avoid Lip sync problems.

TauDudeBlobber

I would have ripped the DVD with Handbrake to a mp4 and used .. Video >> Constant Framerate .. to avoid Lip sync problems.
I have already tried handbrake but it limited the videos to 30 minutes, just like the other 2 programs I tried. I also tried opening handbrake on the whole folder at once, and it did the same thing as opening the whole folder at once in VLC. It only converted the first tile but it appeared to be the correct length.

TauDudeBlobber

i just tried renaming them to *.mp4 and that didn't fix them.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
A Video DVD must be "authored" from the original Video.
A .vob may not be the whole Video, but only a part.
For a DVD, I always have to edit (Reassemble) the video from the parts.

Following is a Video DVD with one video .... 1hr 33min long.
At max DVD resolution 720x480 16:9 aspect ratio .... (YouTube is better than a DVD)

Attachments

Last edited:

TauDudeBlobber

A Video DVD must be "authored" from the original Video.
A .vob may not be the whole Video, but only a part.
For a DVD, I always have to edit (Reassemble) the video from the parts.

Following is a Video DVD with one video .... 1hr 33min long.
At max DVD resolution 720x480 16:9 aspect ratio .... (YouTube is better than a DVD)
I have all of the VOBs. I don't think you understand the problem. My VOBs say they are under a minute when I play them but each VOB is actually over an hour. The VOBs are over an hour each but they don't show up that way and converters can't fix them. I am asking how to fix my VOBs and/or convert them to something modern. I already know that each part is not the whole thing. My problem is that the timecode is broken and no converter can repair them to the full original length, instead shortening them to 30mins.

Also I find it concerning that your DVD has no VIDEO_TS.VOB, which contains the DVD menu images.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I use Adobe Premiere Elements for my Video Editor and DVD maker.
One Video does not need a menu .... I use scene markers instead ►► ◄◄.
As I remember, I've always had to reassemble the .vob (mp4) files into a Video.
I wonder if this would fix your problem ?
I have VLC but have only used it for playing DVD iso files.

TauDudeBlobber

I use Adobe Premiere Elements for my Video Editor and DVD maker.
One Video does not need a menu .... I use scene markers instead ►► ◄◄.
As I remember, I've always had to reassemble the .vob (mp4) files into a Video.
I wonder if this would fix your problem ?
I have VLC but have only used it for playing DVD iso files.
If I could reassemble them, then I would have already. The VOB files have a timecode issue so my video editor cannot access more than 11 seconds of them.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I've always worked from the .mp4 files ripped from the DVD with Handbrake, never the .vob files.

Oddba11

Jim
With all of the tools that can't read the files, I'd say they are corrupt.

Have you tried MakeMKV on the folder?

You can also open each vob file with MediaInfo and see what is reported.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online