1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Incorrect Memory Frequency

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PcGrafix, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PcGrafix

PcGrafix Thread Starter

Two 512GB Sticks of DDR 333mhz on an ASUS A7n8x-E Deluxe With an AMD 3200+ 400 Mhz FSB

No matter what I have tried in the bios I cannot get it to come up correct on boot I see that it says memory is at 166 Mhz, Dual Channel enabled.

When I try to change multipliers and things in the bios the closest I can get the frequency is 334 Mhz Which I would gladly take but the system becomes unstable and just restarts itself when ever it feels like it then.

ASUS in there infinite wisdom told me to turn the CMOS battery around for 30 seconds and then gave me settings to use. Well I did that and ended up with exactly the same number 166.

If anyone can figure this out please let me know.

Thank you in advance

2. pixmax

pixmax

Forgive me if I am stating the obvious, but the MB is correct when it reports the FSB @ 166mhz. Dual channel means it is effectively doubled giving you 333FSB. The MB can only run its FSB at the speed of the slowest component - being the memory in your case. So it is correctly setting your FSB to 166.

If you got DDR3200 RAM (400mhz) your MB would set itself to 200mhz FSB. Dual channel making it 400mhz.

Make sense?

Trevor

3. PcGrafix

PcGrafix Thread Starter

Well is it supposed to say 166mhz because I am not having that issue on my other system with dual channel, it says that the dual channel is enabled also and it says that it's at 333Mhz. So I don't believe your assumption is correct

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Pixmax is right.

If you want to run a synchronous frequency of 400Mhz between the CPU and RAM you will need to:
    a). Overclock your RAM to 400Mhz - run it faster then its designed
    b). Buy the proper speed RAM - 400Mhz (2 x 200Mhz) aka PC3200

To run it faster then its designed, which may cause instability, you can't use SPD(which looks at the RAM to determine the correct settings). You need to manually set the RAM to 200Mhz which with DDR is doubled to 400Mhz.

Also, because your other system shows the effective speed of the RAM and this one shows you base frequency does not mean its incorrect.

Also don't confuse Double Data RAM (DDR) and Dual Channel. They are two different things. DDR is a memory type, the speed gets double , hence 166Mhz equals 333Mhz. Dual Channel is a method of achieving faster memory reads and writes. While one chip is being refreshed then other can be access which theoretical should double the memory performance - it reality it doesn't even come close on AMD systems.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272310

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice