Incorrect printer driver: Windows 7 printer server

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

raa29642

I have a new Lenovo Windows 7 PC. I have a Brother MFC-9440CN printer directly attached to it via USB. Per instructions, I did NOT install any Brother software on the new PC. I just connected it via USB and the PC automatically installed the drivers, etc. Printing from that PC to the locally attached printer works like a champ. I have set up this printer via a network share (called BrotherMFC) so I can use this printer from other PCs.

I have a Dell desktop Windows XP PC (that used to be the computer that had this printer locally attached) and a Dell laptop with Windows Vista that I want to access this printer via the network. On each of these PCs, I have gone through the "Add a Printer" wizard and I selected network (vs. local) printer and find the printer share. However when I select the printer share and click OK, it appears to try and install software or something and says the printer driver on the printer server is incorrect. How can this driver be "incorrect" when it is the driver the new PC used to install? Is there a "special" driver the system needs to act as a printer server properly? Or is there any known compatibility issues of printing via a network share form Windows XP and Vista PCs to Windows 7?

I know the most optimum solution is to get a wireless print server, but this solution of using a network/printer share over the network has worked great and saves me having to spend $80/$100 on a wireless print server.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
Your'e right, raa -- It's not that the driver is bad, just that it's not the correct driver to be used in Windows XP or Vista. You'll probably have to download the proper XP and Vista drivers from Brother's web sites to get it to work.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online