Incorrect Product Key??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fookleburgers

okay so here we go, i reinstalled my version of windows xp home edition and it wanted me to activate windows xp blah blah blah. so it told me to type in the 25 digit product key on the backof my laptop. and yes i typed in the EXACT numerical phrase and checked several times. it keeps saying Inccorect Product Key and it says 45128 for the message number. so then i called so many phone lines until one woman who i could barely understand told me to call HP themselves to get like some new activation key code thingie, but then she said my warentee was over for this laptop and i couldnt use the phone service which she says is the only way to fix the problem, but she said it was gonna cost like 50 bucks a year, but most companies are money-whores so i was wondering if there was any other way i could fix this problem?? thanxxx

fookleburgers

ok i did that. it gave me the same key that is on the back of the laptop and i typed it in and its still the same problem...??

tony007

Banned
Are you sure you are not entering a naught when it should be an o in the alphabet ? Post the number here there are a few things that can be mistaken for something else.

Wait a second... When you install windows you usually insert the key during the install process. The activation of windows uses another code for activation.

Are you sure you are talking about the same thing?

Which one of these windows do you see?

Or this one?

If you are seeing the second one that is good news. Here is the problem. Windows was previously installed and activated on the SAME EXACT machine, so now that you have reinstalled it, it thinks it is copied on another computer elsewhere and/or knows it has already been activated once.

Usually if you install the same copy of xp on the original pc it came with, it does not ask you to activate again however sometimes it does.

You have inserted the correct "Serial" for the windows installation, now it is simply saying "I can't activate because this code was previously used on another windows installation"...

So here is what you do. Just press the "activate by telephone" call to activate. They will ask you for the activate code, tell them what it is, they will say it's invalid then they will ask "Have you installed this copy on any other machines" you simply say "no" because you have only used it on the same machine. Then tell them "I formatted due to a virus and/or issues with the pc".

Then they will give you the new activation code.

You need to activate you copy thru Microsoft not HP and there is no service charge for this. When you call the call center they will ask you a few questions, like Aitruskyy stated and then they will give you a new code to enter in all those boxes. You must keep the pc on while you do this and enter the code in when they tell you. If you don't have a phone by the pc then write the numbers down and enter them in and press ok. You should be activated and then can proceed with the remainder of your windows updates....like 100 of them afterwards....good luck

i tried to go to the jelly bean link and got a forbiddeb to use on this sserver error??whats up with this?

i already tried activating by phone :-// idk what to do its so frustrating
The call to Microsoft is quick ( 6 - 9 mins ) and easy . . All they ever ask is if you have it installed on another pc . . answer is no . . they give you a new set of numbers to key into the "Actuvate by Phone" window . .

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online