1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Incorrect Size Of Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by britishbeef, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. britishbeef

britishbeef Thread Starter

First of all i want to take this opportunity to thank all of you guys helping out on this site, thanks to you i just finished building my first pc a few hours ago and it is awsome...only one little snag though, i have a samsung hard drive IDE that is 160gigs, and even after downloading sp2, windows still recognizes it as 127, that is with all my software installed, and i remember hearing some one say you have to install the service park for windows to correctly acknowledge the size of the hard drive.....any advice :confused:

2. THFS

THFS

Do you have the newest updates for your BIOS? I'm not very good with this kind of stuff, but I think I can remember reading something about the BIOS affecting the displayed size of your hard drive.

3. britishbeef

yes i just downloaded it but have not checked to make sure it is updated....

4. THFS

THFS

That's all I can suggest, so you may as well give it a shot until someone more experienced can help you out.

5. britishbeef

ok ....thanks anyway

6. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

I think this Link should solve your problem.

7. britishbeef

i have sp2 downloaded so the root file they mentioned in the link is up to date...

8. britishbeef

ok i just checked my system info and it says the patition length of 131061mb but recognizes the drives size as 149.0GB......This is driving me nuts i know the maufacturers screw us around with drive sizes but this still does not add up......any ideas anyone...

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You partitioned the drive before you had SP1 or later installed, so the maximum size of 127gigs was created. When you installed the service patches, it's possible to see the rest of the drive, but you've already created the smaller partition. Catch-22. :)

10. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

Also drives are advertised in decimal 160GB = 160,000,000,000 Bytes, but computers report capacity in binary 1KB=1024 Bytes 1MB=1024KB etc., 1GB=1024MB or 107374184 Bytes *149= 159987531776 Bytes or 160GB in decimal. The larger that drives get the more noticeable this will become.

11. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

If you go to dick management, that extra space should show up as unallocated space. From their you can create a partition or volume, format it, and use it as another drive.

12. britishbeef

ok let me try that....

13. britishbeef

how do i go about the disk management ...i thought that option showed up on system tools but i guess not......

14. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management

15. britishbeef

Awsome...works like Rush on steroids..oh i'm sorry pain killers, hehe, This site is priceless!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/299373

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice