1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Increase Battery Life

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mshabsovich, Mar 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mshabsovich

mshabsovich Thread Starter

i installed vista on my laptop and noticed that on a full charge i get about 3 hrs and 10 min out of the battery. on the same laptop, running xp media center 05, i get about 2 hrs and 10 min. vista does have a performance mode and a longer battery mode, which xp does not have. i didnt really like vista because it is not compatible with some of the software i love to use, so i am going to stick with xp until vista improves dramatically. what can i do to XP to have a longer battery life like in vista? is there some app or something? i want that hour of battery life back. thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's a pretty dramatic difference in battery life!

If you have an integrated wireless adapter switch it off when not in use. Likewise, if using another wireless adapter disconnect it when not in use. Dim the screen as much as you can stand. Be aggressive in how quickly the screen and hard disk turn off after idle time.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What specific software is Vista not compatible with? Vista has a lot of improvements in power management, so it's likely that you'll get better battery life with it.

4. mshabsovich

i use zone alarm and love it. i tried to install it in vista but it didnt install because of compatibility issues. im sure i will be compatible but not yet.

5. JohnWill

I don't know that I'd deep-six Vista because ZA doesn't run... The Vista firewall is vastly improved over the XP one, and now has bi-directional capability.

6. mshabsovich

would you say that i would be safe with the vista firewall without installing any 3rd party firewall and/or antivirus? dont you think for the price of vista ultimate, an antivirus program should be included in the price?

is there a way to disable those annoying warnings in vista? like when it asks you 3 times whether your sure you want to delete a file.

also a lot of software from Creative does not work in vista. i have a Creative Zen Vision M, and it struggles with vista a bit. the creative media source software that came with my laptop does not want to install in vista. i also have problems installing some dell system software due to incompatibility issues. i had 1 piece of software say that it needs microsoft .NET framework 1.1 or higher in order to operate. however, vista has .NET Framework 2.0. why does the software say this? this software is called dell media experience 3.1

i appoligize in advance for kind of merging 2 topics into 1 post. :(

7. JohnWill

IMO, you'd be quite safe with the Vista firewall. When I'm behind my router, I normally have no firewall active on my machines.

As far as AV products, you can use AVG or Avast! free versions with Vista.

You can turn off UAC, but that's one of the "security" features that is supposed to help with preventing malware infections.

8. mshabsovich

do you have any idea why i am having this problem with the .net framework?

9. JohnWill

Actually, Vista has NET Framework 3.0. :) I don't know if it's fully backward compatible.

10. mshabsovich

what is the purpose of the framework? what does it do?

11. JohnWill

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Somewhat hidden in that description is the fact that for some (many? all?) applications you need the 1.1 .NET Framework. That need is independent of whether you have 2.0 or 3.0.

In other words, neither 2.0 nor 3.0 is a replacement for 1.1.

3.0 is a replacement for 2.0 (you don't need both 2.0 and 3.0).

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/554554

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice