Increase C drive capacity

Strangeways

Hi, my C Drive is getting full, while D Drive has loads of free space - I think it is possible to increase and decrease Drive capacities (adjusting partitions) but due to my inexperience I am paranoid that I mess things up, I would need Step-by-Step, walk-through assistance with the process.
Image attached, Can anyone help me with this? I have Team Viewer if that would help, Thank you

Attachments

Couriant

James
You will need to start installing programs on the D: drive, and/or save files there too.

If you go to Storage Settings choose Change where new content is saved and you can change where the apps and files save.

Also, click on the C: drive one and see what is causing the space to be used.

managed

Allan
Please right-click Start > Disk Management and post a screenshot of Disk Management expanded to full screen.
That will show if C and D are on separate drives or not.
If they are both on the same drive it should be possible to increase C by reducing D.

All help has to be here in the forum so we can't use Teamviewer or similar software.

Strangeways

Please right-click Start > Disk Management and post a screenshot of Disk Management expanded to full screen.
That will show if C and D are on separate drives or not.
If they are both on the same drive it should be possible to increase C by reducing D.

All help has to be here in the forum so we can't use Teamviewer or similar software.
Hi, I hope the attached image is what you are talking about, Cheers

Attachments

Couriant

James
I am so used to seeing a smaller C: drive (SSD/NvME) and a bigger D: drive separated. Good call from Managed. It looks like we can shrink the D: drive and then extend your C: Drive. I will leave this for Managed to assist :)

Strangeways

I am so used to seeing a smaller C: drive (SSD/NvME) and a bigger D: drive separated. Good call from Managed. It looks like we can shrink the D: drive and then extend your C: Drive. I will leave this for Managed to assist :)
Hi Couriant, "Managed" did respond to my issue, he asked for a screenshot of my disc management, I sent it but now I see he (Managed) is off-line, What happens now? Do I log out and wait for an e-mail or? Thank you

managed

Allan
Not sure why you think I went offline, I've been here all the time.

Ok, you need to move the left hand side of the D partition to the right to create whatever space you want to add to C, then move the 3 small partitions between C and D the same amount to the right, to leave space to the right of C, then move the right edge of C to the right to occupy that space.

I use the free MiniTool Partition Wizard for this type of thing, you can download it here :- https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

Download and install it and if you have any questions just ask.

crjdriver

First and foremost, before messing with any partition, you make sure you have a current backup of anything important ie docs, pics, whatever. Data you do not backup is data you do not care about.

Next, since the C and D partitions are not next to each other, it is a little more complicated than simply shrinking D and extending C. You are going to have to use a third party partitioning program OR boot the system with a linux live usb and use gparted to move the partitions.

Strangeways

Not sure why you think I went offline, I've been here all the time.

Ok, you need to move the left hand side of the D partition to the right to create whatever space you want to add to C, then move the 3 small partitions between C and D the same amount to the right, to leave space to the right of C, then move the right edge of C to the right to occupy that space.

I use the free MiniTool Partition Wizard for this type of thing, you can download it here :- https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

Download and install it and if you have any questions just ask.
Hi Managed - Oh! I noticed the green spot by your Liverpool image (Which I thought meant online) was gone, so I thought you were offline - Oh Ok thank you, I will get back to you if I get stuck

managed

Allan
Read crjdriver's post above yours first about making backups !

That green spot does mean the person is online, strange mine went off.

Strangeways

Hi Managed - Oh! I noticed the green spot by your Liverpool image (Which I thought meant online) was gone, so I thought you were offline - Oh Ok thank you, I will get back to you if I get stuck
Hi Managed - I got the Free Martition Manager - When you say MOVE the lefthand side of D partition - How do I do that? I tried to click and drag it to the left but nothing happens (either left or right-clicking)
Image attachedMini Tool image.pngMini Tool image.png

managed

Allan
You have to move the left hand side of D to the right, you should be able to drag it with the mouse.

managed

Allan
Also you have to use Move to move the 3 small partitions to the right, retaining their present sizes. You must start with the one nearest D then do the other 2. That will leave some free space to extend the right side of C into.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online