1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

increased my internet speed from 1meg to 4meg but dont see much change in speed?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kogus1, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kogus1

kogus1 Thread Starter

Hi, I may be missing something pretty basic here as my tech knowledge is pretty poor. I have recently paid my internet provider to increase my connection speed from 1meg package to 4meg as I need a faster connection. Ive done a speed test and it says that my speed is pretty much what the service provider has promised but when I use the wifi in my place (which I used with the original 1 meg connection) it doesnt seem any faster at all. I thought I'd be flying from one website to the next but its not happening that way at all. Someone said I should consider buying an aircard to increase my computers ability to recieve more data from the router but then someone else said that is not what an aircard is for. Anyway, Im stuck and would appreciate any help i could get as at the moment Im paying alot more cash each month for no improvement. Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers

2. rummer

rummer

First of all has your provider actually sent you an e-mail or letter confirming the upgrade has been done as i i know some take a few days to actually upgrade you and secondly when i upgraded i was asked to unplug the modem from the mains supply for about a minute then plug it back in.This worked fine for me---give it try if no increse in speed give them a ring

3. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Have you tried downloading? You should notice a difference there for sure. I mean you probly used to download at like around 120k before, should be in the 350's now.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Your local link speed is only one piece of a very large chain. What do the popular speed tests actually indicate?

A couple of popular Internet speed test sites in the US.

Speakeasy Speed Test

DSLReports Speed Test

5. kogus1

kogus1 Thread Starter

thanks for the advice. my supplier has confirmed the new package is online and I have done an independent speed check that confirms this. Ive tried the unplugging of modem router from the mains but still the same.

I havent tried downloading much but i suppose if i do and it is faster it means then Im stuck with this level of performance then. if thats the case this increased dpeed is of no use to me really as normal web surfing is the same as before.

download speed is 3401 kb/s and upload speed is 376 kb/s when I have just checked it now.

6. JohnWill

I think you expected too much from the increased speed. Web browsing is dependent on a host of factors, and your link speed has minimal effect on most pages once you have megabit or better speed on the link. Downloads will be a lot different from fast servers. When I went from Comcast to Verizon FiOS, my download speeds for large files went from around 600kbytes/sec to around 1.8mbytes/sec.

7. kogus1

kogus1 Thread Starter

Hi OK maybe your right. I did expect a faster brwosing speed than Im getting. What I want to try and do is increase the speed Im getting or otherwise go back to my original package. Do you think if I use a LAN cable directly into the router it will mean any improvement? The reason I ask is that my ACER has a standard 56kbps modem installed and maybe this could be limiting the speed i get through the wifi connection? Im just clutching at straws here as I really could do with a faster connection for work purposes. Regards

8. JohnWill

First off, the 56kb modem doesn't enter the picture, since it's not in use. This machine happens to have a 56kb modem installed for FAX, and I get my full speed.

A wired connection will have a positive effect on your speed, it's impossible to quantify it without actually testing it. I'd try the wired connection and see if you're happier with the results. FWIW, I notice that wireless 802.11g connections, even when next to the router with good signal and 54mbit connections, are slower than wired, nature of the beast.

9. kogus1

kogus1 Thread Starter

Hi, OK I'll give that a go. Thanks alot

10. pedroguy

pedroguy

Kogus:I have a wired desktop and a wireless laptop(dual core,really fast)
    On all my speed tests,the desktop gives me about 10mbs pretty consistantly while the wireless to the laptop is about 3.9mbs.
    Cable broadband.
    Just for a brain check I plugged the laptop directly into the router,and it got over 10mbs.
    Johnwill is absolutely correct.Go wired if at all possible.
    Now having said that,from a user perception stand point,I really don't see or feel much difference at all between the 10 and the 3.9.If I were into heavy gaming or videos,maybe,but I am not.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/625674

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice