1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Increasing FSB & CPU Mhz leads to instability

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by drewgraham, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drewgraham

drewgraham Thread Starter

I'm trying to upgrade a PC based on a Asus A7V8X-X (link) MB. It used to have an AMD Athlon XP, 1833 MHz 2500+ in there, as well as 2 x 333Mhz 512MB RAM.

I upgraded the processor to a AMD Athlon XP, 2.2 GHz 3200+ and put in 2 x Crucial 1GB DDR PC3200 sticks (link) . The BIOS was still set at 1833Mhz and FSB to 333, and everything ran fine. If I up it to 2200, and therefore the FSB to 400, it boots, gets into windows, but will only last a min or two before crashing to a hard reset (no BSOD).

BIOS is as up to date as it can be.

Suggestions?

2. zacke

zacke

BIOS may be up to date, but is it configured properly?
    You may want to contact the manufacturer of the board, and ask them to help you configure the frequency and timing settings.

3. drewgraham

drewgraham Thread Starter

I was kind of hoping someone could give me some pointers on that :)

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

The bios should set automatically. I would first reset to optimum defaults and if that doesn't work find the cmos reset jumper and reset that and reboot.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645863

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice