1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Increasing RAM causes system instability

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dionski, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dionski

dionski Thread Starter

I have an ongoing problem of general system instability when ever I try and bump RAM up from 512 to 1024. System does any number of things: freezes; crashes; stops recognizing components; refuses to boot in normal mode; etc. Sometimes I won't have any problem for a couple of weeks following the memory increase, and then there will be a gradual and increasing onset of problems, generally starting with an inability to recognize the modem. Other times adding the memory will cause a major system crash within a couple of days. (AcaCandy rescued me once in the past). Other than when the computer will only boot in safe mode, all problems disappear when I remove the new memory. It's possible I suppose that the problem is that the new memory bar is defective--I haven't had an opportunity to try a different one.
    Or is this a common problem with increasing RAM?

System
    P4 2.4G Win98

Thanks--
    dion

2. P3-450

P3-450

Hi dion:)

Your problem is that your trying to increase your ram in windows 98:)

Win 98 does not register memory over 512mb, so you should get messages that there is not enough memory when you try and open dos or something.

Here is a "way around" it from Micro$oft.

I have never had to do this so dont take my word on it that it will work.

if you wanna safely use over 512 then move to xp or 2k.

Hope this helps:)

3. dionski

dionski Thread Starter

Thank you! No one had ever mentioned to me that 98 was limited to 512.

D

4. P3-450

P3-450

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171229

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice