1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Increasing shared graphics memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by abeer_d, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abeer_d

abeer_d Thread Starter

Hi,
    I've an Intel Celeron 1.7 GHz with Intel 845 GL based ASUS M/B,256 MB RAM and Windows 98 Second edition installed.

Now the i845GL chipset provides for 8 MB shared graphics memory.

Is it possible to increase the shared memory since I've lots of RAM?

Thanks.

2. rmay635703

rmay635703

Maybe, enter your bios and check for the shared memory section and see if you can change the value.

Be forewarned even if you can increase it to say 64mb it won't improve performance much

Cheers

3. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

If you have a whack of ram, you would be better suited to buy a 64mb video card like nvidea geforce 4 mx, or an ati radeon 7200

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you know the exact model of the mainboard, that would be helpful. You can check in the BIOS and see if the shared video size can be increased - I assume it can to 32/64MB but it will take away from your 256MB - which isn't alot to begin with.

You could probably pick up a under $100 AGP video card that would really increase performance.

5. zeddy

zeddy

Go for a GF4 ti4200 or Radeon 9600pro.

6. pronute

pronute

This is from Intel it looks like a bunch of bull, however if it does work this way then you don't have to increase the shared memory size it does it for you if it feels you need it.

Many graphic-intensive applications (especially games) require a minimum amount of video memory in order to operate correctly (or even to run at all). So how much video memory does an IntelĀ® chipset-based system with "integrated graphics" have? The answer: it depends.

The amount of video memory is dependent upon the amount of pre-allocated memory set for your system plus something called Dynamic Video Memory Technology (DVMT). DVMT, as its name implies, dynamically allocates system memory for use as video memory to ensure the most efficient use of available resources for maximum 2D/3D graphics performance.

The amount of video memory allocated depends upon the amount requested by the operating system. When the memory is no longer required, it is returned to the operating system for use by other applications or system functions. DVMT allocates memory based on system needs and is not user-configurable. Memory can be allocated up to the maximum limit set by the graphics driver. The maximum limit of video memory allocated by DVMT depends on your specific Intel chipset and the version of the graphics driver installed. Specific information for each integrated graphics chipset can be found via the links below.

7. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

links below?

8. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Since the 9600Pro is cpu and power supply dependent, this would not be a suitable card for a system with a 1.7 Celeron.

9. zeddy

zeddy

Yes it would

10. pronute

pronute

sorry forgot the link this is the page I copyed from click here

11. abeer_d

abeer_d Thread Starter

Thanks for the overwhelming help ppl,all of it is really informative :)

Triple6,my mainboard model is ASUS P4GL-MX.Will it work?

12. abeer_d

abeer_d Thread Starter

...and btw I don't have an AGP slot so buying the GeForces and ATi Radeons aren't options for me. Gotta do with what I have ;)

13. zeddy

zeddy

You can get a FX5200 in PCI format or a Radeon9000.

14. zeddy

zeddy

15. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

PCI isnt suh as bad option as many make it see, its fine as lng as you dont want things like 4xAA or isotropic filtering etc.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!