Increasing sound volume

triciabard

My husband has Windows 10 on his Gateway PC. Sound volume has decreased yet all settings are at 100%.

Any suggestions on how to increase volume?

Thanks!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20210201233249.000000-300
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, 1845 MB
Hard Drives: C: 450 GB (352 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gateway SJV70_HR, ver Base Board Version, s/n Base Board Serial Number
System: Gateway, ver ACRSYS - 1, s/n LXWZL0200414207A071601

Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

triciabard

It's been going on for a while but it got worse after an accidental update from either Microsoft or Google. He can't remember which one.

It's been going on for a while but it got worse after an accidental update from either Microsoft or Google. He can't remember which one.
The first thing I'm going to ask you to try is go to Control Panel, then Sound, Communications and probably the option enabled will be 'Reduce the volume of other sounds by 80%", change it to "Do nothing" and apply and ok. Then you should restart the computer and see if it solved the problem. If not, I will try to see what more suggestions I can give you.

Couriant

James
What kind of speakers does he have? Can you use some headset to the computer to make sure the sound is good? It may be that the speakers are failing.

triciabard

The first thing I'm going to ask you to try is go to Control Panel, then Sound, Communications and probably the option enabled will be 'Reduce the volume of other sounds by 80%", change it to "Do nothing" and apply and ok. Then you should restart the computer and see if it solved the problem. If not, I will try to see what more suggestions I can give you.
We followed the steps and restarted the computer. It might be a little better but not much if at all.

triciabard

What kind of speakers does he have? Can you use some headset to the computer to make sure the sound is good? It may be that the speakers are failing.
He's using the built-in computer speakers- Realtek High Definition Audio. Just hooked up Logitech external speakers and the sound is fine. With a headset, the sound is fine as well.

Couriant

James
It looks like that the built-in speakers may be failing then if external speakers and headphones are working without issue.

Couriant

James
In my experience, drivers will make it work, or not. It may be a bad/worn connection for the speakers too. My gut feeling it's a hardware issue.

triciabard

Oh yeah you should definitely check if the audio drivers are updated.
My husband tried to update the audio drivers and felt he might be involved in a scam. He wasn't sure if it was RealTek or not- seemed to be asking him to pay to update. Can you tell us the correct way to do that?

Couriant

James
How can he find that out- what would be the steps to follow?
The only real fire-sure way is to replace the speakers. However I cannot find a Gateway NV77H Service Manual (Gateway doesn't seem to have much) but the speakers themselves seems like about $10-15, but getting to them may be more than a few screws.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online