Increasing Virtual Memory

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JHY-IC

I have Windows XP Pro, SP2 installed on a Dell Inspiron 8100 notebook (866mHz). I have a 60G hard drive, but only 256MB of memory.

I often receive messages about low virtual memory. How can I increase memory on my system without adding more memory? I know memory is cheap, but I have not run into any for my particular notebook.

My paging file is currently set at 768MB. Are any other settings available to increase the speed of my computer?

Thanks!

Joseph

Go to start/My Computer/Right click on it and pick properties/click on the advanced tab/ click on the settings button in Virtual Settings/click advanced tab/click change button in the virtual memory section/set to custom size and increase initial and maximum to above 768/click set/okay out of all boxes back to desktop.

Remember Virtual memory uses HDD space and is MUCH slower than RAM so this is only a temporary fix and won't help if you have a full HDD already. My suggestion is look for and buy more ram.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online