1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Increasingly common bsod probably connected to cmos battery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by guava, Mar 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guava

guava Thread Starter

In the last year I have had a slew of computer issues.The most prominent however is a blue screen. After the bsod crash my computer doesn't boot. I can hear it attempt to start up then quit, and it repeats that until I force turn it off. Unfortunately the little speaker on my motherboard no longer beeps so I can't tell you what beeps it gives. If I poke the CMOS battery a little bit the computer starts up again and keeps acts like nothing is wrong until it gets another bsod. The battery seems to not be held in place well, it wobbles quite a bit. And in the last few days the bsod has only been occurring more and more often.

There have also been some strange visual problems with my primary monitor. When the log in screen pops up it switches to a message saying something like "input unsupported" and I simply restart the monitor. In the last few days the bsod has become more common and right before the crash I get lines or streaks of randomly colored pixels on the display. And very rarely the monitor flashes that old black and white static you might see on a TV for a few moments. This might not have anything to do with my bsod problem though, just putting the information here in case.

Here is the information your TSG SysInfo tool got.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16327 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 228833 MB, Free - 132741 MB; D: Total - 953766 MB, Free - 573927 MB;
    Motherboard: MSI, Z87-G45 GAMING (MS-7821)
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

I have no reason to believe anything other than the motherboard is causing problems. It was causing a bsod before about 15% of every time I tried to launch league of legends, until I updated some of the motherboards software. The same software kept me from reaching adobe's download servers for unknown reasons. Their tech guys were unable to help me with that one and I had to go with the classic re-install windows. killer ethernet e2200 if I remember correctly. It hasn't been causing many problems recently though.

I made the mistake of doing a system restore which deleted all the most recent dump files. I will attach an older one that may or may not have something to do with the problem. I'll probably crash 2 times tomorrow so I will upload those files when the come.

Thanks for any help, If you need more information I'll let you know as soon as I can.

Attached Files:

2. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

It sounds like they put the wrong CMOS battery in your machine. I'd check the MB manufacturer for the right one and replace it. Also a lot of what you've mentioned sounds like a GPU issue. Please make sure it's seated tightly and drivers are up to date.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice