1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Incredimail lost my contacts!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by starnelka, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starnelka

starnelka Thread Starter

First Name:
    Vow
    I've been trying to sort a problem with Incredimail 2 help. I followed their instructions and now all my contacts have been lost. I tried to import them from Windows Mail but there are none there either.
    Can anyone help me find the addresses again? As you can imagine I'm not feeling too kindly disposed towards Incredimail at present!:mad: This is what they told me to do I'm Verlie):

• Exit IncrediMail by right clicking the IncrediMail tray icon (located near the computer clock) and select 'Exit'.
    • Browse to:
      C:\Users\Verlie\AppData\Local\Identities\{84F4C8C3-3004-4C77-89A2-C3413A034517}\Address Book
    • Save the 'AddressBook.db3' file to your Desktop.
    • Delete the 'AddressBook' folder.
    • Open IncrediMail, open the 'File' menu, scroll to 'Import and Export' and select 'Import Contacts'.
    • Select the 'IncrediMail Address Book' and click the 'Next' button.
    • Click the 'Select Folder' button, select 'Desktop' and click 'OK'.
    • Click the 'Next' button.
    • Click 'Finish'.

2. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

That sounds about right. I've done it myself when either transferring to another computer or fixing something.

So, what happened when you followed their instructions? :confused:

3. starnelka

starnelka Thread Starter

First Name:
    Vow
    All my contacts disappeared except for 2! And the original problem still remains. I know the adds must be buried somewhere in my pc but finding them is another matter.

4. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

The address book should still be in the IM data files.

Create a folder on the desktop and name it "addresses"

Browse to:

C:\Documents and Settings\your name\Local Settings\Application Data\IM\Identities\{long string of numbers}\AddressBook

Copy everything in that folder to the new folder on the desktop. Use the IM importation function to import the address book to IM.

If you cannot find the address book in the folder specfied, or if the folder is empty (has none of your contacts in it), look in your recycle bin and see if you can locate it there. If you can, restore that to the folder you made on the desktop and import that to IM.

5. starnelka

starnelka Thread Starter

First Name:
    Vow
    I couldn't find the files until I unticked Hidden Files and folders etc. Then Local Settings told me access was denied and I could go no further. I did a search for IMData but no addresses there either.

Earlier I found most of the files you mentioned and tried to copy the 84F file but no go. This is driving me crazy! How on earth can I access the addresses when access is denied?

6. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

You can only access hidden files and folder with an administrator's account that has the correct permissions. Are you an administrator on that computer?

7. starnelka

starnelka Thread Starter

First Name:
    Vow
    Yes I'm the only person who uses it. I've discovered there are many IM files that refuse me permission.
    I'm getting tired and frustrated and am almost ready to concede defeat.

8. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

9. starnelka

starnelka Thread Starter

First Name:
    Vow
    I've about had it. I'm tired and frustrated. The annoying thing is that some (not all) of my addresses appear in the Auto Complete but when I try to copy or type them into my Contacts list I get a message that says the address is already in use. Therefore I cannot add them. I'm trying to email as many people as possible to get them to write me an e so that I can try the right click/add to contacts approach.
    If I could get my hands on that IM 'Helper' I'd cheerfully strangle him/her.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/895510

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice