Incremental back-ups with Acronis True Image

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

paieye

I recently bought a Freecom Mobile external hard drive (20 gig), together with Acronis True Image. I used the equipment to create images of the partitions on my hard drive. I now want to bring the images up-to-date incrementally. However, the software does not seem to offer me that choice. Whatever choice I make with 'Next', I always seem to arrive at the same window offering to create a new image from the beginning.

Am I doing something wrong ?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Hmm... I don't have that problem here. When you select the destination, are you actually selecting the file that you want to append the backup to? It works for me here that way.

FWIW, I never use that feature anyway. I strongly believe that once you make a backup, you shouldn't be modifying it over and over again, too much risk of losing the whole thing.

The incremental does not modify the original, it just adds another file to the back-up location.

I would question just how much data is being backed up in the first place that 20 GB would be enough space.

What version of Acronis do you have. My Acronis True Image version 7 asks which type you want right after you enter the filename and location in the "Create Image" section.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I truthfully have never used the incremental, so I don't know exactly what it does. :D I keep four copies of my boot partition, and they're automatically taken every week.

I have TI ver 8 and if you select the drive and directory and the name of the first "TIB" file, TI will assume that you want to perform a Incremental backup. You can override to by selecting a full backup.

What is really cool about TI's incremental backups is that if you have major crash and you need to restore from your backup image, TI will handle the base restore followed by as many incermental backups as you have automatically. Works Great.

Storage_man

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online