Independent Study Project

Ophidian

Hey guys. I have to do an independent study project for a course this year and I'm having trouble deciding on a project. It can be on any topic really... Basically I need something that will keep me interested until spring. Any ideas?

Hi Ophidian, :)

Can you sort of give us an idea what
topics you're considering so far, or what
you're interested in?

Cheers, Mac

Howsabout comparing and contrasting the methods, costs, effectiveness, ease-of-access, etc of the varied forms of PC technical support services.
Probably a foregone conclusion though.
TSG wins hands down!

Hey Mike, :)

Why don't ya include "He who teaches learns"
in your signature? It'd save idiots like me some
time... :)

Cheers, Mac

Let the record reflect that Mike C has changed his
signature to "Sufferin'succotash!" (a quote which
I am much more familiar with...). :D

Since this is a volunteer site, maybe you could do something that helps Mike (TechGuy) with the site.

Ophidian....A study of .."The Love Between Lawyers & Reporters As It Relates To Current Events"..would prove to be an interesting study....However....I doubt your "independence" would last very long....the lawyers would seek your retainer....the reporter....your exclusive....Dark Star said he would brokerage the deal for an undisclosed fee...

Ophidian

Hmm interesting idea, JewisHeritage but i think you might be right with the whole loss of freedom thing... and i'd prolly put my class to sleep presenting that.

Well basically what I've considered so far is pretty general:
1. Learn a new programming language
OR
Go further into learning one I know

2. Something to do with electronics

3. Build a computer and spend the year studying parts

4. Spend the year studying to get a few computer certifications

5. Learn to fly a plane

6. Build/restore a car (particularly a '68 mako shark vette)

Pretty much thats what I've gotten so far... o yea and my teacher gave me the go ahead to do something with sex as long as I keep it appropriate... what I'd do with it I dunno...

- Well as for choice 1, I kinda didn't really want to do this for the whole project since its too close to what I already do. I don't really want to devote my year to just doing one thing like that.
- As for choice 2, as you can see, thats still a general idea.
- With choice 3, it would kinda be a stretch to do that for the whole year.
- Choice 4 is kinda of interesting since I would really get something out of it. I'm already going for an A+ certification right now and I could go for 2 or 3 more different ones over the year and base the project on that.
- Choice 5 I have to look into. Costs might weigh me down.
- And choice 6 is prolly my most interesting one. Costs definitely might weigh me down though and I'm currently having a hard time finding enough information to do it.

Well that's basically what I have so far. I have to figure what I'm doing within about a week or two which is a bit of a problem since I'm kinda stuck. I figured I'd ask everyone here to see if ya's could help me any. What do ya think?

How about:

artificial intelligence...

computer operated (or remote controlled) robotics...

make a computer game...

I like mac's idea of the computer game! After you get it done you could post a link to it and lets us have a go at playing it.

Also like the sex Idea....Reasearch could be kinda of fun! HeHeHe

Opps....Wife just saw the post and gave me a owweee!
Dave

Ophidian:
Pretty much thats what I've gotten so far... o yea and my teacher gave me the go ahead to do something with sex as long as I keep it appropriate... what I'd do with it I dunno...
Ah, if you don't know what to do with it by now I suggest you stay away from this topic. :)

Ophidian

:) Heh, well I thought of doing a computer game but I don't think I'm goin to for 2 reasons:
1. A friend of mine is already doing one
2. I don't really want to focus on one language this year; I like to jump around or else I'd get bored so I wouldn't be able to focus on making a game right now with my current knowledge.

I was thinking about the robotics thing but I don't really know where to look for information and ideas and plans to help me.
And the same goes for AI.

Ophidian

Hmm... well the robotics thing looks interesting. Reconn's World has some interesting devices I wouldn't mind building but their plans are currently being reorganized or something. That kinda fits with my idea of building a variety of gagdets and such over the year as I studied electronics.
The problem with making robots is that I don't really have enough knowledge on electronics as a base so I haven't really found anything I could do easily.

You want something challenging enough to
keep you interested until spring, that you
can do easily?

Good luck on that one. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts