index dat file

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ezymony

i have an index dat file in my cookie cache i want to delete but it wont let me.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
The index.dat file, is exactly that, an index into your cookie folder. It is part of the IE architecture and provides faster access to the files. You will also find one in \History and \Temporary Internet Files.
Since they are always in use, they can not be deleted from windows.
But, over time these files grow, even though the files in the folders are deleted.
To completely delete the files and have them rebuilt, restart to DOS and enter

Smartdrv
Deltree c:\windows\cookies
Deltree c:\windows\history
Deltree c:\windows\tempor~1

For each of the above, after confirming the folder name, you need to respond with a Y.

Note that the \TIF folder may be under Local Settings, in which case yo would use

Deltree c:\windows\locals~1\tempor~1

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online