1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

index.dat file

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Bevysr, Dec 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bevysr

Bevysr Thread Starter

Since its not possible to delete the index.dat file, is there a way to empty the file? It stores all the cookies, history & temp internet files eeven though I delete all those files each time I leave the internet. It takes up a lot of storage & memory. I have windows 98.
    Thanks,
    Bev

2. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

The index.dat file, is exactly that, an index into your cookie folder. It is part of the IE architecture and provides faster access to the files. You will also find one in \History and \Temporary Internet Files.
    Since they are always in use, they can not be deleted from windows.
    But, over time these files grow, even though the files in the folders are deleted.
    To completely delete the files and have them rebuilt, restart to DOS and enter

smartdrv
    deltree/y history
    deltree/y cookies
    deltree/y tempor~1
    exit

3. Emtronics

Emtronics

I posted 1 minute after Doyce. I edited my post as what DoyceJ posted is correct. Sorry

4. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

You're just rusty. :)

5. Rockn

Rockn

6. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Yea I know. I was real surprised, when I tried the program Spider, at what it found.

7. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Hey Rockn, have you tried your second link?

8. Topazz

Topazz

Excuse me for butting in on this thread, but I was wondering if the deltree trick can be used on Windows ME? I am asking on behalf of someone else who wishes to know.

Also the Spider program -- can that run on Win ME too?

Thank you!

9. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Bevysr-Just type it exactly as it is and you will be fine. Depending on the amount that is being deleted, it may just take a few moments before you get the next C: prompt to continue. This works very well with 98.

Topazz- I dont see why the Spider program couldnt be. Here is the link to the thread. With ME, the deltree thing is a little more complicated. You have to use the ME disc to access DOS. I am not familiar enough to give the steps and darned if I cant find my notes. Here is an article though.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63597

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice