1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

index DAT files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by USeless, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. USeless

USeless Thread Starter

What exactly are index DAT files?

Are they necessary or critical to operation?

I occassionally use EasyCleaner to remove junk, but index DAT files are deleted.

Can they be deleted?

Thanks.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

They can all be deleted except one (usually--there may be more). They are something of a security risk since they contain information about past internet activities. They are very difficult to remove and are stubborn even when accessed by a bootable OS.

Use Index.dat Suite to delete them, if you want. It will not delete the needed one(s) if you do not over-ride the default choices. Don't delete the one in the PCHealth folder. (If you do, I have a backup copy. :D)

3. hewee

hewee

Yes they can be deleted.

They keep a history of everything on cookies and all sites you have been to even if you delete your cookies and history and they just get bigger and bigger so it is good to delete them.

Note there are other index.dat on your computer that are needed and has nothing to do with IE that you don't want to delete but EasyCleaner will only delete the ones you do want to delete.

4. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Does "CCleaner" do a good job of this?

{redoak}

5. stantley

stantley

Yes Ccleaner and Index.dat Suite will both delete the index.dat files. Ccleaner will also delete temp internet files, cookies and history for IE, Firefox and other browsers.

Easy Cleaner will delete temp internet files, cookies and history for IE, but as far as I know it doesn't delete index.dat files.

This is the only thing I could find on the Easy Cleaner forum about index.dat files. http://toniarts.freeware4u.com/view...ndex+dat&sid=4301c2cc7b255b18e2f729ef1ef18abf

6. TOGG

TOGG

7. USeless

USeless Thread Starter

Where can I get CCleaner?

8. stantley

stantley

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Two things to caution you about with this program. In the Cleaner section don't check anything under "Advanced" and don't use the Registry section as it can potentially cause problems.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759549

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice