1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

index.dat

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Hue, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hue

Hue Thread Starter

What do I need to know about index.dat in regard to privacy? I currently use Sure Erase with XP, but will that overwrite tracks in index.dat? There is a program called Tracks Eraser that claims to overwrite the tracks in index.dat.

Feedback appreciated,
    Hue

2. PC_Wiz

PC_Wiz

3. Hue

Hue Thread Starter

PC...

Thanks for the reply and the link. Can you recommend Tracks Eraser, or a similar product?

Hue

4. PC_Wiz

PC_Wiz

Your best option is to read reviews about programs like Evidence Eliminator , Track Eraser etc.., so you can find out which one best fit your needs. Then you can download their trial version to see which one you like better.

5. Bold_Fortune

Bold_Fortune

I've experimented a bit with Tracks Eraser. I didn't really find it all that special. I could still see traces of files I had deleted when using "Restoration.exe". And I really didn't find it much more useful than any ordinary temp file cleaner. (But that's my opinion.)

Then I tried Eraser. What a fantastic little program, and free, too.

I can't see any of my deleted files now.

I wouldn't worry too much about your privacy and index.dat files. But if you are just download another little freeware utility called Spider116. It will delete the index.dat files upon a reboot, and Windows will re-create them.

If you'd like to see what's in the index.dat files, download this freebie called Winspy. I think the makers of Tracks Eraser offer it.

6. Hue

Hue Thread Starter

Bold Fortune,

Thank you for your input. I have looked at the Eraser download page before but was hesitant because it didn't mention XP as a compatible OS...

Hue

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice