1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Industrial Strength Data Recovery Tools

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rjemery, Jan 27, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rjemery

rjemery Thread Starter

I have a working IDE drive whose partition table has been scrambled. As a result, any of the three operating systems on that drive will not boot. In fact, the drive is not even seen by the system when DOS is booted from diskette, because no drive letters are being assigned.

Norton Utilities are of no use because of the no drive letter situtation. NU can't see the drive, but FDISK and Partition Magic's PARTINFO program can.

There must be some powerful data recovery tools out there that would enable me to fix this drive, and I would appreciate recommendations for same.

If money were no object, I could send this drive to a disaster data recovery house, but those places are expensive and are really for drives that sustained physical damage. The cause of this drive's failure was nothing more than the powering down of the computer during a system boot.

------------------
    R. J. Emery

2. HowdyBubba

HowdyBubba

Try this out http://www.powerquest.com/searchandrescue/index.html it's about $150 but you can download a demo that will tell you wether or not it can help your drive.

I seem to recall a free util somewhere on the net but I can't find the link right now. If I find it later I'll post it here.

Good Luck

3. Jim Holly

Jim Holly

Have you tried FDISK /MBR ? This should restore the table from the backup one on the drive.

Also, a friend advises:
    "Hook the drive in as slave to another hdd and see if it's recognized. Run scandisk and/or Fdisk /mbr. Tiramisu (a file reclamation program)will recover the data but doesn't preserve filenames or directory structure."

[This message has been edited by Jim Holly (edited 01-29-2000).]

4. rjemery

rjemery Thread Starter

I didn't know FDISK had an /MBR option. Are you sure about that? I just did a "FDISK /?" from Win98/DOS and no /MBR option was shown.

5. LarryCore

LarryCore

It is not a documented switch, but MBR will indeed create a new Master Boot Record.

I don't think it will help your partitions any, but it won't hurt, either.

I have used PowerQuests Lost and Found program in the past, and it worked quite well. Search and Rescue is a more advanced tool, but includes Lost and Found as well.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/32245

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice