1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Industry Standard for hardware replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bluemike, Jun 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bluemike

bluemike Thread Starter

Are there guidlines or a 'best practices' list somewhere for when a company should be cycling their hardware?

I am primarily concered with monitors, laptops, workstations, etc.

My managment seems to take a 'wait-till-it-blows-up-in-your-face' stance on hardware replacement. I would like to show him that fixing problems before they occur can be cost effective.

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I buy spares when I get the best price on them, then they get shelved until needed. I just bought a 19"monitor for $79,a C84 printer for $8 with cartidges from a different retailer for $1ea , a Soyo SY-KT600 Dragon Plus Motherboard $40, etc. That's just this week. When something goes I'm always ready.

Small companies can save a bundle by buying when the gettings good.

3. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I probably made a mistake on the motherboard, as every year I pick up a few for less than $20 each.. The company doesn't hassle me about purchases, as I am the person who can make the PC's do anything.. :)

It's nice to work for a company where all the computers are tweaked and overclocked. :)

I don't have to come home to get decent preformance outta Farcry... :)

If the boss says anything, I just tell him, " a 10% increase in productivity for the workers translates into a 100% increase in profit." It's a quote from some famous school of business.

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Last week, I bought 12 Ipaq PocketPC keyboards off Amazon for $9, 12 Sipix pocket printers for $17ea, and 4 Ipaq pocketPC's off ebay for less than $60 each. I'll pick up more Ipaqs when I can till all who need them are equipped.

I just completed writing a webpage for chemical testing using javascript 1.1 (which pocketPC 2002 supports) so our agents can test in the field and print the results in the field, and have started on a portable point of sale which will run on pocketpc's and cell phones. :)

Those Ipaqs, along with pocket excel also make a great way to take inventory at a low price in the warehouses.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/239347

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice