1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Inevitable Armageddon

Discussion in 'Controversial Topics' started by yabbadoo, Apr 20, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. yabbadoo

yabbadoo Banned Thread Starter

If this does not get an avalanche of posts - I give up.

When all aspects of life on Earth depend primarily on Oil and Gas. What will happen when these reserves run dry ?

Forecast vary enormously, but 2050 is a popular date. that is not too far away !

Whatever the date, it looks like curtains for life on Earth, a total collapse of civilization seems a certainty.

Comments please. I will not be here to see it, but countless millions of others will.

2. buffoon

buffoon

moved this here. Far too full of life for being anywhere else (and that's a compliment):)

3. thingamajig

thingamajig Banned

Running out of petroleum products would only lead to Armageddon in the sense that we have crackpots that might use destructive weapons to take what little is left in the end.

How long have we been using petroleum products vs how long we have existed on this planet? I'd say only a minute fraction of human existence has been and will be so intertwined with a dependence on petroleum. Change will happen, science may advance, humans may learn to live with what they have. Who knows?

But as long as we still have an ozone layer, we will continue to exist. Who can say in what condition that will be? Maybe we'll go back to riding horses or walking like the Incas - who didn't even have a wheel or horses. We will still be able to generate electricity and we still know how to generate motion with it whether it be from the sun, from hydro, or from the yet-to-be-found gravitons for that matter (or even anti-matter :D).

4. buffoon

buffoon

With a bit of luck (and do I believe in luck?:rolleyes:) the stuff will run out so evenly that they'll have nothing to propel their armamment with. At least that'll get me out from under this constant drone threat I suffer.:p
    I agree that by the time of the dry-up there'll be other options. Probably not for everyone but that's no change from now either. Maybe there'll be a role reversal.

Maybe we'll even get to publish the edition of their calendar that they were too broke for doing:D
    Doesn't matter ;)

5. thingamajig

thingamajig Banned

Apparently you haven't seen the design for our new solar powered model :D

If only they didn't have to carve it into heavy stones - despite their talent for moving them without machinery. :) Now it's time to roll out our new solar powered printing press. But never mind, by the time our reserves run out, we won't be using paper anymore anyway. Here is already one great step toward more efficient use of our resources.

Who knows? Perhaps we will have to learn pull carbon based products out of the thin air - which would be a good thing because we all know there will be plenty of it floating around. :(

6. 1956brother

1956brother

it seams we are already trying to do without....hopefully, we will get there before then...

7. ekim68

ekim68 Mike

IMO, running out of Oil might actually clean things up a lot, starting with Air.....We really take breathing absent-mindedly.... Thinking every breath we take will be followed by another one without poisons in our intakes...:eek:

8. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

I dont know????,,,If iran gets their way,,they could significantly reduce the population of those that actually use alot of oil....thus making the supply last longer.

9. izme

izme

I think every member here should put on foil hats..cuz quite frankly..this thread skeered the beejebus outta moi!

10. Paquadez

Paquadez

11. yabbadoo

I could not give a crap about some previous thread, dust it of and read it yourself if you wish, we are now talking of today`s appraisal.

I am very much certain that this topic will be done to death a thousand more times before the balloon goes pop. It is NOT a topic to chat about and then shelve, it is continuous, so forget the previous waffle and concentrate on TODAY`S update if you wish to take part.

12. buffoon

buffoon

Hey yabbadoo,

cool it a bit, ok?

Paquadez's observation is totally correct and there's nothing wrong with voicing it. If this thread is to continue, topic previously done to death or not, first requirement is civility of tone.

Otherwise I'll close her down.

13. Paquadez

Paquadez

Careful!

Forum rules are specific about new topic flooding; please read.

And if you have actually bothered to check the thread I cited, then you will rapidly see two realities:

One: No dust it was very recent.

Two: The core realities and metrics were submerged by the plethora of ill-informed mania.

;)

As a general forum procedure, nothing prevents posters from picking up the original threads and reinvigorating them.

Read, mark, learn and inwardly digest, perhaps?

14. yabbadoo

OK, I am sorry, but this is an ongoing threat and one cannot just file a single discussion in the archives. I was a bit hasty. I withdraw my remarks.

I did not know of the previous thread and would have appreciated somebody telling me when I raised mine. Searching for previous topics is not easy.

15. buffoon

buffoon

Fair enough.:)

Let's carry on.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1050103