1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Infected with Protection System

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by xingxang, Sep 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xingxang

xingxang Thread Starter

Hello-
    I am trying to fix a friends' laptop that appears to have been infected with Protection System malware. PC Info: Dell Vostro 1500, Windows XP Home, SP2.

At the moment, I cannot seem to get the laptop to access the internet, whether it’s because of the virus or because it is not set up to access my cable modem. I have left it disconnected from our network to avoid any cross infections with my good pc. Can I download programs to a USB stick using the good pc, and transfer them to the sick pc’s desktop- if you don’t see a problem with this method, then I’d prefer to continue using it.

When I try to install Malware Bytes from the .exe on the desktop, the install procedure seems to begin, then disappears completely from view, and doesn’t even appear in Task Manager.

HijackThis seems to install ok from the desktop, but when I try to run the program, I can see it begin to list programs, but the after less than 2 seconds it, too closes and disappears.

Other issues: Restarting/Shut Down gets stuck and I have to hold down the power button to shut off.

Would greatly appreciate any help you can give.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/862388

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice